I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Guides
Posted by: Sean Walker (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:17AM

I know that this has been discussed before, and I did do a search. I couldn't find anything, so I thought it best just to ask the question.

As far as I can tell, there are 3 types of fly guides--snake, single foot wire, and inserts. I've actually never built a fly rod, but am about to start one--a 7'6" 4 weight.

What guides would you use? Why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Guides
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.134.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:35AM

Highly debatable issue.
Snake guides are cheap and a lot of factory's use them. But you have twice the amount of thread wraps, more work and more finish, more weight.
Single foot guides I think for light fly's are good, light one wrap, less weight.
Ring guides like a titanium frame will give light weight and should give more distance. Less friction with a polished ring. IMHO

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:36AM

i've recently wrapped a 7'-6" 4pc 4wt fly rod and usually use single foot wire guides but this time i chose traditional snakes. i used the pac bay illusion guides specifically. by the way, i was nicely surprised at the shape of the guide's feet as they arrived. very very little filing had to be done compared to other guides i've used over the past year. this was for my litle girl and i though snakes would hold up over the years better for a child and might even be easier to thread the line through.

i usually choose single foot wires and titanium finish is my favorite. i like the less wrapping single foot wires require, the minimalistic look of less wrapping and i think they are lighter than snakes.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:38AM

I would use the single foot ceramic inserts. Much more durable, quieter, much slicker, better casting (that's an opinion) and less wear on the line. A good choice would be Fuji Alconites. I would use BYAG model for the stripper, maybe one more smaller BYAG and the rest BLAG's Merican Tackle also has similar guides in various color combo's, blue, holo, gold, etc.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.134.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:46AM

If you do a ring guide, take a look at the Titanium frame guides. Less weight Fuji's are a little costly, Titans are a more reasonable price. If it is a more mod-action blank, the wire may be better ?

Another thing is the Recoil guides ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2006 12:11PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 12:25PM

I've built several shorter light weight rods using inexpensive Batson black on black single foot ceramics, and I love them. I've put them on 7'6" 4 weight and 8' 4 and 5 weight Forecast blanks, and even on a 6'6" 2 wt Batson RX8. I probably wouldn't use them on a light weight blank that is 9' long, but for shorter rods, they are great. I took my first flyrod that I built with single foot wire guides out to fish the other day and noticed that they were a lot noisier than my other rods. I also like the fact that they hold the line away from the blank.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 01:05PM

I use traditional snake guides exclusively. They are an excellent design. A fly rod without snake guides looks stupid to me.

Date: January 18, 2006 01:07PM

If I went with insert guides, what size quides do you recommend?

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: January 18, 2006 01:35PM

I prefer to use American Tackle's Titan guides for almost all the rods that I build. They are light and extremely durable. They are not cheap, but unless I am building an inexpensive rod from cheap components, those are the guides that I use. One advantage that ceramic ring guides have over the other types is that the line is completely enclosed in the ring, so it never makes contact with the blank.

For a 7'6" 4-wt I would use a #6 tip top, 6 #6 guides, a #8, a #10 (still single foot), and a #12 (casting) stripper. After using a published guide spacing for the type of action: If the blank has a fast action, use a spacing where the guides are close at the tip. For a slower action, look for wider spacing. Then I would do static spacing to space the guides to fit the individual blank.

Jim

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 01:39PM

I would go 12 - 8 ail sngle foots, the rest 6's
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2006 09:44PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: vance corbett (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 09:35PM

Sean... I always enjoy this question... It stirs up some great dialog and usually gets a minimum of ten responses... The single-foot proponents get sorta rankled when the traditionalists make their pitch. And vice versa. Here's my two cents... One stripping guide (10mm stamped frame with hialoy insert), then finish the rod out with either Pac Bay or Hopkins & Holloway Lite Wire traditional snakes (4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3) and a large loop lite wire tip top. Why? Because I like the traditional look and I promised myself that I will never let increased casting distance get in the way of a good day of fishing.
Regards, Vance

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.42.94.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:30PM

Told ya it was highly debatable

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.46.223.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 03:06AM

Sean,
I normally think of myself as a traditionalist as well. However, I recently built two 7'6" 4 piece # 4 Rods on Rainshadow blanks. I was pretty concerned that such a light rod with moderate action would be slowed down with too much weight--particularly on the tip. I even asked those on this forum for recomendations. I received the same ideas that you have received. I ended up using wire loop single foot guides with a Titanium Nitride vapor deposit coating from Pac Bay. When I finished with it, I liked the way the rod casts and I like the look--my customer likes the rod a lot. While aesthetics should paly some role, it ought not get in the way of efficiency. Good luck with your project.

Mike Blomme

Date: January 19, 2006 11:37AM

I really appreciate everyone's response. I'm torn because of the very arguments presented. I suspected that the insert guides would create a little more distance and a lighter rod, but there is something to say about aesthetics in regard to fly rods. Everything about fly fishing is aesthetically pleasing to me. Snake guides just feel more right, but that is because that's what we are accustomed to seeing.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 06:46PM

Sean,

For the kind of conditions under which you would fish a 7 1/2' - 4 weight fly rod, do you really think casting distance is a factor?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster