I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip size vs. tip top tube size
Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.ms.tut.fi)
Date: January 18, 2006 03:34AM

Hi.

What is the best tip top tube size? Is it 1/64" bigger than the tip diameter?
I've never thought of this before - I've filled the gap if there's been much of it.

Cheers,
Sakari

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip size vs. tip top tube size
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.65.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 09:22AM

best thing to do other to measure the tip, is get one size up and one size down to make sure.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 09:40AM

If you have a set of calipers, just measure the tip and get the exact tube size to fit. A 4.0 top has a .062 tube diameter, a 4.5 has a .070 tube diameter. If you tip measures .066, order the 4.5 top. Too large a tip is also unnecessary weight at the extreme end of the rod.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:11AM

order a tip top guage for a couple bucks. They really come in handy

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:55AM

i'll second mike's sugestion for the tip top guage. under $5 i think. it's a plastic "card" with holes and extended sections. with the sizes next to each. helps very much in determining the correct needed size. catalogs from the blanks' manufacturer help too, which usually list the butt and tip top sizes. also, don't forget to ask the vendor who's selling the blank. they generally know the product they sell.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.adsl-net.finnetcom.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 12:53PM

I know the tip sizes (in mm and in /64"). I got them directly from the blank manufacturer so I guess they are valid.
I'm ordering the guides and tip tops etc before I get my hands on the blanks.
I guess that I should get a tip top with 5.5/64" tube dia for 5/64" tip and 6.0/64" for 5.5/64". Am I right? That's 0.5/64" larger, unlike I (wrongly) said in the first post.

Cheers,
Sakari

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 12:56PM

No, If it's a 5.5, you want a 5.5 tip if it's a 6, you want a 6.0 tip. You can't always be certain that the particular blank is exact so I woud also get one larger and smaller. This will also allow you to build up a good supply

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.adsl-net.finnetcom.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 02:45PM

Thanks Mike.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:47PM

It is also true that, (at least for Fuji brand in the smaller tube sizes, as in under 10 / 64ths of an inch ID), the ACTUAL Inside Diameter of the TIP-TUBE is ~ 0.1 mm (which is ~ 0.25 of a 64th of an inch) LARGER than the tube size listed. You can look for a specific tube size and ID information at: [www.anglersresource.net]

In other words, if the rod-tip is truly a 6.0, then the #6.0-TUBE is already slightly oversized to begin with, and should fit nicely. ... The best way to size a rod tip is to try a tube and see how it fits. Done, ...

One parting general comment about rod blank OD's for the rod butt and especially the rod-tip: a rod blank is a HAND-wrapped product, not a precision-machined lathe product. Sure they roll 'em and whatever to smooth the finish, etc. but the variablity in the rod tip is certainly within the realm of 0.5 / 64ths of an inch. Ordering at least two sizes (better the larger?) is a sound practice.

The OD's reported in the rod spec's are a statistical AVERAGE, subject to whatever the standard deviation is for their manufacturing processes. If Manny or Manuela roll the mandrel a little funny that batch, or whack the butt or tip a little up or down the mother-long that shift, then either end of the rod will vary accordingly. Even highly-controlled Quality Control measures will still have variances in them that will always be on the order of at least ~ 0.1mm (~0.004 inch) for either the rod tip or the rod butt. ... This is inevitable, ... IMO, Cliff Hall+++

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2006 12:40AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.42.94.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 12:58AM

Nothing written in stone ha Cliff. Except death and taxes. And if your good, you can get away with taxes ????

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 19, 2006 01:17AM

You said it, Bill ! ... -CMH+++

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 01:38AM

You can put this in the "future supposition" or "wild forecast" guess on my part - and disregard if you care to.... As more and more components are produced outside the USA (likely the last place on earth to give up on English measurement of inches and feet) we will likely see standardization to milimeter measurements for rod components and (quietly) convert from measuring one thing in fractions of inches and another in more rational, understandable metric measurements. Rod blanks and all the components that go into making fishing rods will be much easier to fit. Base 10 is just easier to understand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster