I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly reel seat question
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: January 17, 2006 05:28PM

Hello all. I have just recieved my H&H building kit which comes with a Pacific Bay Uplocking U3 reel seat. When I put the reel seat together the insert seems rather long. If I put the reel (Loomis Venture 5) in the seat, to secure it the lower hardware has to go past the thread to secure it tightly. Do you have to trim these wood inserts to fit or am I doing something wrong? (I'm new to the flyroding stuff)
thanks,
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly reel seat question
Posted by: Joe Hamel (---.madison.k12.wi.us)
Date: January 17, 2006 05:40PM

Does the reel fit tightly in the seat when tightened? If so it is probably just fine.

Joe

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: January 17, 2006 06:32PM

Tom,

First make sure that you have assembled it correctly! If you have, you should not have to trim anything. Fly reel seats are made to fit the standard foot of modern fly reels, the Loomis Venture included. I would call Bob at H&H and tell him about the problem; I'm sure that he will help you resolve it (probably by sending a new insert). Assuming that you have a u-5 reel seat, the only way to solve it yourself is to trim the end of the wood that goes into the hood (opposite the threads).

Your reel seat should look like this....

hood hood ring end
<--------------------wood insert------------------||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||->
hood hood ring cap

BTW, make sure that the hoods face each other before you glue the components. Many of us have made that mistake!

Jim

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 06:33PM

If there are still threads ingaged it should not be an issue but you CAN shorten the wood insert. with the hardware unscrewed all the way put your reel in and see how much distance between the uplock collar and the reel foot. remove some of that, maybe start with a third of the excess. be very careful not to take too much or you will not be able to get the reel foot in when all is assembled. you just want to make sure you have plenty of thread engaged when you tighten down the screwlock but you want to have enough room when you unscrew it to easily remove or attach the reel. if you are going to cut it try to use a miter box so you get a square cut.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: January 17, 2006 06:35PM

Here it is without the white spaces removed...

hood ....................................................................hood ring........... end
<--------------------wood insert------------------||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||->
hood ....................................................................hood ring ...........cap

Jim

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 07:28PM

From your description I am not certain where your problem is but the reel foot on a Loomis Venture reel is slightly thicker and will fit a seat a bit different than some other reel feet. I know that I find a slight difference of a few threads when using my Venture reel in a seat designed to fit a Ross.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: January 17, 2006 08:55PM

Thanks for the input. I have done some measuring and from the top of the reel seat to where the thread begins is about 2"5/16 in length. The reel foot is about 2"6/16. The hood ring slides right over the foot, so much so that about 1/16 of the foot is exposed and would come in contact with the hardware when tightened. I think I better call Bob beforeI start chopping. Thanks, Tom.

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: January 17, 2006 10:38PM

Whoa boy, verify verify verify, before you start mixing the epoxy.

Bob has always been fast in responding to my questions so just check with him. He is one of many of the great service providers here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster