I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

deformed my foregrip - will it rebound??
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2006 08:25AM

I had to make a fairly major alteration to the rear portion of a previously mounted grip, last night... all was well until this morning. I removed my rod from the cork clamp and found that I had deformed the rounded end of my foregrip (from the wooden clamp) where it meets the blank. In my opinion, it's compressed on one side nearly half the thickness of the cork... looks terrible since it's uneven.

Any chance it will "spring" back to shape on it's own over the next day or so?

Thanks!

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: deformed my foregrip - will it rebound??
Posted by: Allen Forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 08:50AM

If you read back over the forum there are some useful bits try page 3 - 5 I did read something about steam from a kettle working maybe someone can jump in who has done it but fear not there are always ways to recover things I dont think it will come back of its own accord it will probably need divine intervention

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 09:57AM

Use an electric heat gun and it may bring it back out. If not chuck it up in your lathe and square off the end with a sharpe knife. Jesse

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 17, 2006 11:42AM

Wooops - my bad - you got deformed CORK on the rod, not loose EVA-FOAM grips (like in my reference below). Try steam or pouring hot water over it, but don't expect too much improvement and don't risk applying too much steam or hot water, which may break the glue joints. Re-shaping is the safest remedy. IMO, ... like Jesse said.

If you really hate the way it looks, after cutting it flush, because the rod blank is exposed or something, - Then you may be able to slice a slot in a 1/2" ring of EVA / Hypalon foam grip (or new cork ring, diameter cut) and front-fit it to the foregrip, and glue that in place. A little ramped thread hosel may take the eye away from the surgery and move it toward the butt wrap. IMO, Cliff Hall+++

BINGO - HERE YOU GO - In a word "MICROWAVE" - Read up:
"Taking "dent" out of EVA - Any ideas?" ... Lou Reyna 10/29/05
[www.rodbuilding.org]
"A few eva grips (6-8) that I have have been "dented" from the pressure of other items resting against the material for a prolonged period of time." Lou Reyna ... ETC, et al, ... Good Luck, -Cliff Hall+++

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2006 12:16PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: January 17, 2006 04:09PM

Give it a couple days. Sometimes, I've had minor dents disappear. (Sounds like yours isn't so "minor," though.)

Based on what you've written, I really don't think the dent will disappear. But, with a little elbow grease, I think you can have it good as new. Perhaps the best option is to take your sandpaper, and simply sand off the ring(s) that are dented. Just tape up your blank really good in that area, so that when you [inevitably] hit it with sandpaper, it won't hurt the blank. Use one hand to hold the sandpaper against the blank, and the other hand to spin the rod and apply pressure.

Just slowly spin the blank against the sandpaper (80 grit maybe), checking often that you keep the cork concentric. Work till you get the general shape that you want. Then, start working your way toward higher grits, ending with something like 400. You'll probably have some space where you'll need to clean rod bond and cork remains off the blank. But, that area will likely have some sort of butt wrap over it anyway, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

On bass rods, foregrips are purely aesthetic, so a different-than-normal length or shape is of no real consequence. In fact, if it were me, I'd likely just sand the whole foregrip off.

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 08:20AM

Thanks for the info. Yes it is cork. This is on a spinning rod so I need the foregrip... at least part of it. I was surprised how much it rebounded in 24 hours... I decided not to sand it down since I was afraid I would mark up the blank (even if careful) What I ended up doing last night was to take a plastic ball point pen body systematically crush the rest of it to even out the bad areas. I will always know it's there but I doubt anyone else will ever notice now, I got it even enough to use a winding check. Although, as I type this I'm thinking maybe to shorten it up just a little...

Thanks for the replies!

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster