I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

pen verses drill lathle
Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.28.madbbs.com)
Date: January 16, 2006 07:54AM

Im considering a grizlly drill lathe but have been looking around at some pen lathes to im wondering is i shouls spend the extra and get a pen lathe for turning cork and now that i think of it turing inserts would it be worth the extra investment?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pen verses drill lathle
Posted by: Allen Forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 08:28AM

In my opinion if you have just one incling of a use for a tool then its worthwhile take for instance a screwdriver you may not need one NOW but one day the instance where you do need one may occur in which case better to have the "complete range of screwdrivers than to try and make do with a hammer.
remember to always buy the BEST that you can afford if you have to save for that extra couple of weeks to get the top of the range then do so its worth it in the long run
hope this helps

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 09:34AM

What happens if you want to turn a say 15" handle ?

Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.93.109.madbbs.com)
Date: January 16, 2006 09:38AM

Buy bed extentions? maybe im over complicating it again....

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2006 09:45AM

I just got my lathe from PSI. I got the turnercrafter pro (it comes with the bed extention) It is great. After two weeks, I don't see how I ever made a rod before. I make grips anf foregrips and winding check without any prior training. I sure want to do more. I suggest you go to Andy Dear and buy his Video. I found it well worth the money in making my decision on which lathe to buy and it got me off on the right foot.
Good Luck

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 09:59AM

Hi Rob... I think what people are saying is that you should think first "What am I going to use this for" If all you're going to do is turn cork and EVA then any one of the "less expensive" rod lathes (American Tackle, PacBay etc) will do that job - and do it quite well. If what you're planning to do is to turn wood inserts then you're talking a whole new animal and wood is not resin. Although you CAN use a wood lathe to turn resin you'd be better off with a pen lathe and carbide cutters or a full up mini metal lathe (which when outtitted is what a pen lathe is just that you aren't gong to turn automotive crank shafts). I think you also need to think in terms of what is already available from the fine manufacturers and distributors (on the left) and from some of the very talented people who frequent the board. How many nice wood insert reel seats are you going to use? How much do they cost from sources already producing them($15-$??) vs how much does a pen lathe cost ($ 300.00).? Then, do you have another use for the tool? The basic rod lathe with dryer is going to see a lot more use than a wood lathe or a pen lathe And if you're only turning reel seats or short wooden pieces then the pen lathe (saving your pennies) will see more use than a wood lathe. Do you have an interest in wood turning beyond rod building? If so then that might be the second acquisition (Grizzly or Jet lathe) or check Harbor Freight's pricing. Bottom line is spend your money on what is most useful with an eye to getting the best tool for the money. you have available. Personally I would still like a Renzetti but since I have a rod lathe, wood lathe and a home-made (jerry rigged) pen lathe I can't , in my mind, justify the cost of the Renzetti. Having said that - If a used one comes along at the right price I'll buy it and sell off one of the other two rod lathes that I already have for the added features of the Renzetti (thread carriage, direction of turn, overall stability, expanded tools that are available).

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: January 16, 2006 10:17AM

I know a lot of people who turn pens and the concensus of all is that pen lathes are basically underpowered junk. Jet has discontinued theirs. Whatever you buy, don't waste your money on a pen lathe.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: January 16, 2006 11:29AM

I use a Jet mini-lather (not a pen lathe) with Andy's mandrells. I got mine before they offered the extension bed, and if I had to do it again, I'd probably get the bed. But that is only a nice-to-have. I'm able to make everything I need, only limited to the length of a long grip. I don't even see this as a big issue. My preferred method for getting around this is a split grip, which I like better as a design anyway.

I think one of the keys is to get a lathe for which you can buy standard add-ons. I wouldn't know what to do without my 4 jaw chuck for the headstock and the drill chuck for the tailstock. It's also great to have different sizes of tool rests.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2006 11:33AM by Steve Rushing.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 01:22PM

Rob,
I have operated under the premise of "saving up for the best tools I can get" even if it takes me a long time to get all the parts needed. In this way I have been able to get a used Clemens Rod Lathe (even if it was a bit over priced) and upgrade it with a new Renzetti Thread Carriage. Next I will upgrade the Rolling Carriage and Motor Mount. In the long run it will have cost me more than a new Renzetti which woudl have been a wisser choiuoce fo rme to save up for in the first place. The fact remains that I am very pleased to have the Clemens
and account its history an added benefit.

Then I chose to get a wood lathe. Andy Dear was very kind in giving guidance and I bought a Jet Mini Lathe when it was on sale at Amazon.com. Once that was in the door I added a 3 Jaw Chuck, Live End and Jacob's Chuck from Penn State Industries. I am saving up for a SuperNova 2 Chuck but first I'll buy a few very good turning tools. The waiting period has given me time to learn from the experiences of others; especially on this Forum. In addition it has alloowed me time to uncover reliable sources for the items I want at exceptionally good prices. Email me and I will share them with you.

Andy Dear's Instructional DVD is excellent! His seminar at last year's Charlotte Convention was what really convinced me to get a good wood lathe. I'm looking forward to his seminar this year. The seminars make the trip to Charlotte (and the expense) a great investment.

I also buy tools that are inexpensive if they do the job and have a good record of reliability. I bought a Grizzly table top Drill Press for about $80.00 which has performed fine. I will not be able to afford a Tormek sharpening System although I believe it is the best tool for the job. Fortunately there are much less expensive alternatives that will do the job. It's not about buying the best to feed a need for status; but for the performance and durability and the ability to expand the uses of the tools. Quality tools do provide a great advantage which shows up in the finished product once the skills are mastered. They are a joy to use and they retain their value.

The benefits of quality apply to custom fishing rods as well as the tools we use to create them.
Dave

Posted by: James Mello (---.haydrian.com)
Date: January 16, 2006 03:16PM

Quote from Ken Preston: "Hi Rob... I think what people are saying is that you should think first "What am I going to use this for" If all you're going to do is turn cork and EVA then any one of the "less expensive" rod lathes (American Tackle, PacBay etc) will do that job - and do it quite well. If what you're planning to do is to turn wood inserts then you're talking a whole new animal and wood is not resin. Although you CAN use a wood lathe to turn resin you'd be better off with a pen lathe and carbide cutters or a full up mini metal lathe (which when outtitted is what a pen lathe is just that you aren't gong to turn automotive crank shafts)."

So with that statement, that gets me thinking I should really hold out for a metal lathe. This now begs the question on whether a metal lathe will allow you to turn wood or other materials in a free hand style.

-- Cheers
-- James

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 04:36PM

JAmes,
I own both...A metal lathe, 2 wood lathes, and 3 wrapping lathes. Expect to spend at least $850.00 to $1000.00 for a "DECENT" Metal LAthe. Those lathes for $400.00 aren't worth buying unless your willing tot ear them down remove all the grease, cosmoloine etc, and completely rebuild them so they are accurate.

ANdy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.144.130.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 06:21PM

Hi.Rob, The lathe thing has been an ongoing question for a long time now.What type,what brand,how big,how small,what extras do I need how much should I spend?????????????
These are the same questions I asked.Is what I was looking for was something that would fit into the workable space that I had, that wouldn't take up allot of room. In fact I really wanted something that could be portable.
That is when I seen the picture that Mike Barkley posted.The Grizzly Hobby lathe . Awh,I liked what I seen.Looked like it would fit the bill.Got me one.It costed me under $100.00 .
I figured that I could not go wrong at that price.If It did not work out I could sell it at a yard sale to recoupe my money.

After I recieved it I mounted it to a 1x put a on/off light switch110 receptacle combo on the board.
Had a couple of stainless steel mandrells made at a local machine shop that we do bussiness with,in exchange for a Rod.

Completely portable.Since I do all my turning out side on the car port and when not in use It stands in a corner in my shop,out of the way. I'm real happy with it for what I use it for.
I owe it all to Mike Barkley for posting the picture of the Grizzly.Thanks Mike.

Before you make your decision,think of the space you have to work in.
Good luck in what ever way you go.<<<<<<DON>>>>>>AT HOBBY RODS>>>>

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 16, 2006 07:31PM

Tools tools tools ..........
The first time a problem come up, you will say, " I should have waited for the better one "
Buy one you can get parts for.
I have a DELTA, also bought a 3 jaw head, and 1/2 " chuck for tail stock, ( so you can put drills etc. in it )
You WILL find more to use the lathe for.!
check swing over bed, multi speed, length, tail stock feed screw travel, motor HP, Mine 3/4 HP, tail stock ram travel- 3" between centers 40", 14" swing, speed from 500---2500 RPM

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2006 08:38PM

AMEN DAVE.............

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.93.95.madbbs.com)
Date: January 16, 2006 09:29PM

talk about alot of great advice your guys are great im glad i found this forum page its be so helpful...

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 17, 2006 01:00AM

I bought the PSI Turncrafter Pro and didn't look back. It works extremely well with all the above mentioned add ons. I just wish I had ordered mine with the bed extension, which is only $28, and I will get one soon. I am also gonna take a page out of Mikes book, and get an extra Tailstock to mount roller bearings in so I can turn handles on the rod, or just do an excellent sanding job. I've already checked on the price and the Tailstock from a salvaged lathe will only cost me $40. I'll be in real business once I get those things.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: January 17, 2006 10:10AM

Turning resin was mentioned and it was noted that you should have a metal lathe and carbide tools. THAT STATEMENT IS TOTALLY INCORRECT. I turn wood, antler and resin on my Jet Mini lathe on a regular basis. If you ever tried to turn antler with a spindle gouge then you would probably assume that you need a metal lathe, because antler is much harder than either wood or resin. But the real answer is not a different lathe, it's a different tool. A sharp 1" round nose scaper goes through antler and resin like a hot knife through butter and it leaves a good finish. I know a fair number of people who also turn aluminum, brass and copper on their wood lathes and do it successfully.

Also, don't waste money on the PSI 3-jaw chuck because it's basically a peice of junk. The runout on mine was nearly .02" and I know several people who have said theirs is just as bad. I have a Nova Precision Midi Chuck and it holds Andy's 1/4" mandrel just fine. Plus, you cannot hold a four sided object with a 3-jaw chuck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2006 10:57AM by Gerry Rhoades.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster