I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chesapeake trolling rods
Posted by: clyde Hunt (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 10:01PM

I guess I failed that test the first few times :)

Anyhow, I’m looking for suggestion for a pair of blanks to be used in the Chesapeake for trolling.

The first is a replacement for a pair Penn Senator 30-50 ARS which are used to pull mojos and large umbrellas using #40 monel on the gunnels. The Penns work well but I’m hoping to reduce the weight of the blank and get a little better feel in the rod.

The second rod is a 6 footer that will be used to pull tandem rigs and smaller umbrellas off planer boards. I’m currently using #30 solid glass blanks and they work well for me but the sensitivity is lacking. On the other hand, I have a few rods built on a “heavy” #20 tubular blank that has the sensitivity I desire and pull a tandem rig quite nicely but are a tad bit weak when push comes to shove.

I guess what I’m really looking for a ‘tweener” rod. Something with the back bone of a #30 solid glass and the sensitivity of a tubular blank.

My preference is for a moderate to moderate-fast action leaning toward the mod-fast if anything and would like to stay right around 6’ if at all possible.
Any input one my have would be much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chesapeake trolling rods
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 10:20PM

Hi Clyde,
I build several of these each year for charter and private fishermen in the mid and upper bay (Chesapeake Beach, Deale, Solomons Island). The blanks that I find most suitable are CalStar 660MH for the first rod that you're looking at or PacBay 20 & 30lb XRT series regulation trolling rods. Personally I think the 30's are overkill. For the second rods I have no doubt that the CalStar 660M's are the way to go. They're good in the spring season for the "cows" and will also pull nice double bucks through the smaller fish summer days - for Spanish macks and blues (assuming we have any this year). The CalStars look "whimpy" or "whippy" but they're plenty tough in the butt section and are a forgiving fiberglas blend. I team the rods with Stuart Tuff Butt aluminium tube/reel seats and slick butts (the whole setup) and American Tackle boat rod guides. They turn out to be a very nice pairing that won't have you looking for a second mortgage. If you want to go a little further you can sub in an All American black/gold roller for the first guide / American Tackle black/gold boat rod guides / All American roller tip and come away with a 5 guide finished rod.

Date: January 15, 2006 10:31PM

Clyde,
I'm working on a donation rod for the Maryland Saltwater Fisherman's Association right now built on a PacBay XRT 20 that will be at the fishing show in Upper Marlboro this weekend and I'll have a CalStar there at my booth as well if you're thinking about going to the show you can see the rods there --- Or just stop by and chat with Jesse Buky and I.

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.37.43.216.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 10:42PM

Seeker BT-20. It has a #20 tip and a #30 butt section. Trim material off the butt to your desired length. Ed

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 10:48PM

Clyde, the Forecast trolling rod blanks will do what you want . We are in Va. about 65 miles from the Chesapeake Bay and we sell a lot of these blanks for that use . We also have many custom trolling rods out there built with these blanks and have had nothing but positive feedback . We have the blanks on our website Fishsticks4u.com and we are also on the sponsor list. If you have any questions call Ray at 804-966-7577 , he is a licensed Capt . and is a very good resource when it comes to salt water fishing.We will be glad to help anyway we can. Robert

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 12:56PM

I agree on the Calstar recommendation. The rods I have built using Calstar blanks have been holding up nicely.

What puzzles me is why you're looking for sensitivity from a rod that is pulling heavy mojos and umbrellas, and is usually fished from the gunnels in a rod holder - hardly the place for a rod considered sensitive. Mojos I use are 28oz plus, plus termial tackle, and trailing lure. Umbrella rigs place a similar heavy drag on the gear. Physically holding a rod being fished like this will wear you out within minutes, sensitivity becomes irrelevant.

Lou

Posted by: clyde hunt (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 07:02PM

Lou,
For Mojo's and the heavy work I agree but I hope to use these rods in other applications also. We do a fair amount of deep water jigging using 16-20 oz. so it would be nice if the rods had a pretty decent “feel” to them.

Ken,
Thanks for the invite but I’m off to HI this weekend to chase the striped ones. Maybe I’ll catch up with you when I get back in town

Date: January 17, 2006 08:17PM

Clyde --- Man, that breaks my heart. Cold front moving through, nasty & overcast with bad wx fore cast and you HAVE to go fishing in Hawaii... What a bummer. May the seas be smooth and the fish many

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.an2.dca16.da.uu.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 09:36PM

It hurts my back thinking about checking umbrella rigs every 45 minutes by hauling them in with a fast action 6' rod. I've hauled many, and I would never make myself a rod over 5' long. I have made a lot of rods for Chesapeake trolling on the Lamiglas BBT857S and Seeker SM30 and SM50, all cut to 5' or so. Save your money on blanks for a nice bunker spoon or unweighted parachute rig rod. Lets be honest- you can't "feel" anything except huge head shakes on the end of umbrella rigs and giant double bucktails.

Both Seekers and the Lami can do double duty on tuna chunking later in the year, and there again you will be thankful for a shorter rod. And there was never a better place for a spiral wrap than in this situation!

Posted by: John Kroemer (---.aubnin.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 07:42PM

Hey All,

I am looking for someone to build me a couple "Spoonplugger" trolling rods similar to the
ones Buck Perry used to sell. 5' or shorter for fresh water trolling (Muskie, Pike, Bass, etc.)
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John Kroemer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster