I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hair Dryer Meltdown
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 03:04PM

This afternoon I decided to strip down a short fly rod that wasn't working out. Thought I'd scavenge the components and maybe try the blank as an ultralight spin rod.

While using heat from a hair dryer to soften the residual epoxy things were going well until I noticed an unusual ripple in the blank finish. Suspecting that I softened more than the thread epoxy I tested the blank by flexing the blank and sure enough it popped at the ripple.

So be cautious when applying heat to a blank's finish. Apparently, I reached the blank finish melting point.

Jeff Shafer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hair Dryer Meltdown
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 03:09PM

Lesson: Don't use hair dryers or paint stripping heat guns. Go to a Craft store and get an Embossing heat gun for around $20.00 = less velocity and lower temperature.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 03:20PM

Thanks Ken,
Interesting point, in fact I believe there is an embossing heat gun somewhere in the house, a leftover from one of my kid's hobbies. I'll have to dig it out and experiment with it. Fortunately the fried blank was very inexpensive.

Jeff

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 03:29PM

And Fiberglas - especiailly older Shakespeare blanks (those you can see the residual cellulose tape wrappings on) seem to be the most susceptable to heat damage. I hate to work with them - but I see quite a few each year that people want to have resurrected because they belonged to fathers/grandfathers. My advice is usually to have it cleaned up and keep it as a memento (wall hanger). Lots of times the finish is "checkered" right through to the glass and the blanks simply fail repeatedly. I'm sure it has plenty to do with pre/post "Howald process'" and the earliest "Howald process blanks" which were introduced right at the end of World War II.

Posted by: Anonymous User (203.212.150.---)
Date: January 15, 2006 04:13PM

I was put onto one of these by Ken a couple of years ago. Highly recommend one. Love the thing and wouldn't trade it for anything. Thanks Ken.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 04:52PM

When I use any kind of heat I use my hand to determin the distance from the blank I should be. What I do is place my hand in front of the heat source. When I feel the heat without burning my hand , this well be the distance I well keep my heat source from the rod. Also keep the heat moving , I never leave the heat in one place more than 3 secounds (heat well build up fast) and you my get melt down
Good Wraps Bob PS: I would practice first on a old rod

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 15, 2006 06:03PM

Hey, Ken-I've got one of those things! I'll have to give it a try; that Bic doesn't have a cord hanging off the back of it, though... ;)

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 17, 2006 01:24AM

Ditto Ken, I saw you using it on your video. Bought one, works awesome.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster