I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winston IBIS blank butt diameters and tip-top sizes?
Posted by: Mark Van Ditta (---.nas18.washington2.dc.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: January 14, 2006 07:48PM

Does anyone know of a site where the butt diameters and tip-top sizes for Winston IBIS blanks are listed? I purchased two "Made in the U.S.A." cosmetic blems today at the College Park, MD Fly Fishing Show, and would like get this information for the blanks. I guess that I could measure the blanks myself with my digital micrometer, but I am not sure how much gap to leave in sizing the tip-top (most of the blanks that I have used up to now have had a small gap between the rod and the tip-top size that was specified for the blank).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winston IBIS blank butt diameters and tip-top sizes?
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 07:52PM

My notes tell me I had to slightly file out a .420 ID wood insert to fit the butt of my Winston IBIS blem, so slightly over .420. Unfortunately I didn't document the tip top tube size.

CCS data if you're interested: ERN = 5.65, AA = 65. I've been fishing it with a DT five weight.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Mark Van Ditta (---.nas18.washington2.dc.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: January 14, 2006 08:15PM

I forgot to add that the blanks that I scored are the 4-piece 9' 6wt and the 4-piece 9'6" 8wt. I guess that I could call Winston next week, and see if they would supply the information

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 08:28PM

A bit forgetful myself. Mine is the 9' five weight, I think all IBIS are four piece.

Jeff

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.mo-stlouis0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 10:13PM

None of my Winston stuff shows blank dimensions.

Posted by: Kurt McKenna (---.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 10:29PM

I did a 9' 6wt IBIS 2 years ago. The tip top is a 4.0 and the butt was .430". I had a .437" bore put into the seat and it fit perfectly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster