I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thinning Gudebrod CP
Posted by: Ed Grella (---.177.37.58.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 09:37AM

Hello, On the bottle, the directions state "thin with alcohol" What type of alcohol? Thanks, Ed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinning Gudebrod CP
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 09:52AM

Isopropyl or Denatured.

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 14, 2006 10:58AM

The higher percentage of alcohol (the lower percentage of water) would be preferred if you have both. For example,

De-Natured Alcohol (D-NA) = 91% Ethanol, 5% Methanol + 4% WATER.
IsoPropyl Alcohol (IPA) = usually 70% IsoPropyl Alcohol + 30% WATER.

Do not use any of the colored (green) or scented rubbing alcohols for any purpose in rod-building. That colorant or scent (usually an oil) may / will interfere. -Cliff Hall, B.S. Chemistry.

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: January 14, 2006 04:09PM

Yes indeed, Cliff has it right. Do only use as solvent or dilutant the alchohol that specifically states low water percentage. Then only buy it if it comes in a container that has an excellent seal to keep it from absorbing moisture on the shelf. Alcohol is hydroscopic, meaning it will absorb humidity from the air. Just leave a shot of scotch open on the counter for a day or two and see how cloudy it gets. That's absorbed water.

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.37.38.2.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 05:45PM

Thank's as always!!!! Ed

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 14, 2006 06:10PM

That all being said, and can't disagree with a word, I've never had anything other than 70% IPA in my rod shop. It works great for diluting 811. You won't have any trouble with it.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: January 14, 2006 08:39PM

Ok,
I have a question for you folks with a chemistry background. In case you weren't aware Gudebrod 811 is a water based urethane chemsitry, Gudebrod themselves says it's ok to thin 811 with water. Most of the waterborne urethane chemistrys I have dealt with work just fine when thinned with water.....So why all the worry over water content in the alcohol?

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 14, 2006 10:21PM

I just want to know who can leave a shot of scotch on the counter for a day or two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about will power!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 15, 2006 12:17AM

Wish I had will power... no way that puppy would sit there long.

I think the more water in it, the longer it takes to dry, Andy??? My best guess, anyhow???

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 12:54AM

No wonder I never liked scotch on the rocks!

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 15, 2006 03:06PM

Andy your'e about half right. In case you weren't aware, Gudebrod 811 is a water base Urethane/ACRYLIC chemistry. Its the acrylic that is the barrier preventing penetration by subsequent coats of whatever. Its really the acrylic part of this chemistry that does the goodies that rodbuilders are interested in. Flex coat, U-40, and most of the other color preservatives on the rod building market are water base ACRYLIC formulations. The urethane/acrylics can be a rather touchy problem for formulaters. Water base does not mean 100% water as the solvent. There are specific solvents in these formulations that are there to reduce the solids sufficiently so that water can now used to thin them to a useable viscosity. Further thinning them with water can sometimes be disastrous. The solids can kick out of solution for one thing. Gudebrod is a marketing organization, they do a marvelous job of marketing other peoples products -- they essentialy have no technical ability. I have received some weird answers from them over the years. I can't sanction thinning a urethane/acrylic with water unless ---use distilled water, warm the water to about 100 deg. F, and add it very very slowly, and add no more than a max of 10% by Vol. You are safer to thin it with Denatured Alcohol, but you are always better off to not thin it at all. You are very aware of my position on the idiotic thinning of epoxies, I have similar position on thinning CP --- You receive a product with about a 30% solids content, which is marginal for the intended job-- and now you cut that solids further by thinning on the misdirected belief that it gives you better penetration, as if better penetration is going to do anything for you.

Ralph

Date: January 15, 2006 06:10PM

I hear you Ralph. Some of the Gudebrod 811 that I've used is SOOOO thick, though. It's really hard to work with if it isn't thinned just a tad. Doesn't take much, but it's so much easier for me to work with when I do that. Do you think that's wrong?

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 15, 2006 07:13PM

Thanks, Ralph - "ROQ" - Your comments carry about 100 times more weight around RBO than mine, even if I am on track & on target. As a benchtop chemist doing solvent extractions, I know that a multi-solvent system (2 or more solvent components), especially when carrying dissolved organics (acrylics), can easily be thrown out of balance by the addition of (even a small amount of) water. Precipitation of those dissolved solids, before soaking into the threads, will just leave a sludge or grit on the thread, not a penetrating infiltrate inside the thread, keeping out the final thread finish, and thereby "preserving" the thread color. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 09:15PM

I agree with Ralph and Cliff. I too am a Chemsit by training (Inorganic-Analytical) I cut the Gudebrod with denatured alcolol. You do not want to "knock" the acrylic component out of solution. I have never used the U-40 product but I do know that the American Tackle CP is a ureathane dispersion that is loaded with surfactants that help in penatrating the thread. The Guebrod CP as a tendancy to sit up on top of the thread.better than the others I have tried. When you add alcohol you decrease the surface tension of the Gudbrod CP and get better penetration. It is very easy to over do the alcohol addition thus you will need multiple coats to ge good color protection. I have found that you need to add alcohol in very small amounts untill you get some sort of reasonable viscosity to both coat and penetrate at the same time. (This not an easy task and it does not take much alcohol) I have never tried the Scotch approach but I might suggest moonshine as an alternative. They still make some clear stuff here in the mountains of Western NC.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 15, 2006 09:45PM

Randy
There is very poor quality control of the Gudebrod 811, and Gudebrod doesn't have the technical capability to know it, or to do anything about it if they did know it. They simply buy it , label it, and sell it. Practically every paint company in business these days makes some kind of urethane/acrylic the same as or very similar to the gudebrod 811. For our purpose -- which is maintaining the original color of nylon threads-- I still like to use the straight acrylics, even though the finished film does not have the structural integrity of the urethane/acrylics. Are we worried about structural integrity on our nylon threads? You should be able to buy a new bottle of 811, check the viscocity when you open the bottle and if its to thick ---- add about a teaspoon( per 4oz bottle) of DENATURED ALCOHOL, and stir thoroughly DO NOT SHAKE. That should last you for the life of the bottle. Don't use isopropyl, it has to much water content, and does not have the diluent properties of denatured.

Cliff
You have hit on the reason so many people out there skip from one color preserver to another trying to find one that will work. @#$%& bells they all work when used properly, but using properly does not mean shocking the gee whizzes out of the polymer by stuffing H2O down its throat in the naive assumption that thinning will give it greater penetration. Instead of adding a film of acrylic, all they have when the solvent dries is a worthless sludge which leaves the threads badly mottled when the epoxy is added. These guys that thin the first coat of cp, then follow that with two coats of unthinned are getting away with it because the subsequent two coats are covering up the sin of the first thinned coat. They are also supporting the myth that thinning gives better penetration. In order for these water based systems to work, the formulator is forced to add a considerable quantity of surfactants (soap) to get the dissolved organics into solution. This surfactant technology is a specialized field all of its own, and the ratio of surfactant to water solvent can be very critical. Water is a very neat polar solvent, but it usually needs some help when dealing with organics. When adding more water than the original formulator calculated, one is not only risking kicking the solids out of solution -- he has also diluted the surfactant/water ratio to where the thinned solution will not wet out -- call it penetration--nearly as good as the original. Yet the myth goes on, thin it and it will penetrate better -- such nonsense.

Ralph

Date: January 16, 2006 04:33PM

Hhhmmm.... 30%? I think you're being generous. I have had 2 seperate chemists both with PhD's in chemical engineering and both from seperate companies run tests on the 811. Both say the solids content is aproximately 13-15%.

Andy Dear

Date: January 16, 2006 04:59PM

Ralph,
You said "Its the acrylic that is the barrier preventing penetration by subsequent coats of whatever. Its really the acrylic part of this chemistry that does the goodies that rodbuilders are interested in.

That may be true as it relates to 811 or Flex Coat or Trondak, but there are lots of other compounds out there that will work just as effectively, with better long term performance and durability.

We are having tremendous success developing a CP with dispersions that contain no urethane or acrylic, and that wear like iron.

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster