I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying CCS data
Posted by: steve parks (65.214.202.---)
Date: January 14, 2006 08:46AM

On the current site of the CCS database there are numerous fly rod data submissions. How do I use that data to choose a fly blank of a certain length, action and weight. Say I want an 9' 7wt fast action, what would I look at to choose the right blank? I want to get more up to speed on this CCS stuff so that when someone comes to me for a fly rod I can immediately determine which would be the best blank for a particular application.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying CCS data
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2006 08:59AM

The terms you're giving above are extremely vague - with the CCS you can dial in a lot closer. You can be much more specific. Exactly how fast an action do you want? Under what circumstances and situations do you plan to cast and fish the rod mostly? Are you going to be using a 7-weight line in close, out far, in-between?

If all you want is a 9' 7weight rod blank and don't care about specifics, just use the manufacturer's catalogs to pick a 9' 7-weight. Granted, they're all different even though they carry that same designation, but if you know what you have now and what you really want incomparison, the CCS will do the job.

So what you'd be better off asking is something like this: "I want a 9' rod and will be using it with a 7-weight line. I plan to reach fish at distances usually beyond 50 feet and prefer a very fast tip." With the CCS you can be that specific and come very close to finding what you want.

I would also suggest running the CCS measurements on rods you have now and getting a feel for how they rate, and then you'll be able to compare other blanks that show ERN and AA figures that are higher or lower. Everything is relative to something else.

Another component of the CCS that hasn't really been exploited enough in my opinion, is the CCF. The frequency of the rod can tell you a lot about how that rod is also going to feel compared to your current rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2006 09:06AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: steve parks (65.214.202.---)
Date: January 14, 2006 02:10PM

I see what you're saying Tom. To be more specific about a blank how 'bout a 9' 5wt blank for 40-60 feet casts in a moderate action? When looking at the CCS data what numbers in that data would I be looking for? I'm trying to understand this CCS thing. I even printed out all the articles on the CCS info site. It's easier to carry those around than each issue of rodmaker.

I've built several fly rods just going with the manufacturer's rating and been quite pleased so far. But if I can make it even better because CCS data helped choose the right blank then the customer and I are both happy.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2006 05:34PM

Again, you'll probably want to measure some of the rods you have now and that you know the characteristics of very well - this will help you get a better feel for what each unit of ERN and AA represent.

However, without knowing your casting and fishing type, I'm going to suggest that you look for an ERN in the range of 5.5 to 6.0 and with an AA of beween 60 and 65.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster