I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic Gold Thread
Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 07:13PM

My client will use one of the new Pfluger low profile casting reels on the custom rod I am building for him. They are a silver body with a very rich gold plate on the handle and drag star. I mocked up some handles and provided examples of some thread wraps for him to choose from.

I will be using a dark purple thread with gold metalic trim wraps. My test wraps were Gudebrod HT 9000 A size trim. That is a very straight gold. The gold on the reel is very deep, rich, dark gold with perhaps a tint of red/copper. Goldenrod looks close on the website pix.

Can anyone suggest which dark rich gold metallic would best match these particular Pfluger reels?????

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic Gold Thread
Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 07:26PM

i have a hard time visualizing color matches unless i can hold the two up together. go and check out some sulky metalic thread. they have a couple of golds. there are two types. one is kind of a gold ribbon. that won't work. the other is a thin gold thread like A nylon. thiner and easier to work with than gudbrod. you can find it in some large fabric stores. there is a large line of sulky threads. the metalics i am talking about come on a roll that is
about 2 1/2 inches long and only maybe half an inch in diameter. kind of an odd size.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 08:07PM

Anytime that I'm using gold, it seems like 9004 Ole Gold is a better match. Seems to be a deeper, richer, darker gold. I hardly ever use 9000 anymore.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 08:13PM

I am looking at a 2006 Mudhole catalog and they show 5 different shades gold in A Gudebrod HT metallic. I have also used gold Sulky metallic and like the color selection. As Larry ststed the Sulky is slightly smaller than A, but I also think it is easier to work with than HT. You can scope out the colors of Sulky at any well stocked sewing store - JoAnns etc.
Gudebrod 9396 copper HT may also match up.

Rog

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 08:21PM

You may also wish to check the gold variations offered by FishHawk which is smaller than HT but very good quality

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 09:11PM

There's a new color on the way that might be what you're after. #9631 Bright Copper. We just put the newest color chart up at []

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: January 13, 2006 10:21AM

I use many spools of gold metallic a year and for trim only [no strength] the J Metallic color Government Gold sold by Mud Hole is by far the best. You get a 1,000 yd. spool for eleven bucks, that is hard to beat. It is oil free so you don't need CP. Jesse

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: January 13, 2006 11:08AM

Something else to try....the Sulky is a bit smaller diameter as already stated, try using two strands of metallic colors instead of one. Gold and silver together look like a "champagne" ( that one came from Batson's Enterprise's Bill Batson) The copper and gold together are very subtle.

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: January 13, 2006 08:59PM

Thanks everyone. Went down to JoAnns to see what's in stock. Sadly, nothing in the store looked right. The closest thing I could find was in the Kreinik brand. Marked "very fine (#4) braid, 202ML" No color name given. It is not twisted, but braided. I will try a trim wrap this weekend and see what it looks like and report.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster