I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Blank Flaw?
Posted by: Jeff C Baker (---.hsd1.ut.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 03:35PM

I had to post this again, the original was deleted as I did not read posting instructions and did not include my full name. I have been working on my first rod a ST Croix spinning rig and all is going well until now. While prepping the blank to wrap the 2nd to last guide with 90% alcohol and a paper towel a blemish showed up. The blank is gloss black and now there is a matte finish in that small area. I used my thumb nail to rub it and slivers of black came off. Is this a flaw or weak spot in the blank or is it something I did by using the alcohol or paper towel? Which I think would be strange as I used them up till this point without any problems. More important is there anything I can do to restore the gloss finish or do I have to send it back to ST Croix, which I would hate to do as I am almost done with the rod. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry about the mistake on the first posting!
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Flaw?
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 03:53PM

What type of preparation were you utilizing that requires using alcohol on the blank to mount the guides?

This has happened to me on two different rod blanks (from very reputable manufactorers) when attempting to remove stray epoxy. Some of the finishes just don't hold up to alcohol.

Can you reposition the guide to the area that has been damaged?

Domenic

Date: January 12, 2006 04:14PM

I was just using alcohol to remove the masking tape residue, can you suggest something better?
Repositioning the guide might be a problem; it is a single foot #6 and is quite small and after covering up most of the blemish at least a half an inch shows below the end of the wrap end. Is there some type of gloss finish I could use on that area?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 04:32PM

I would try waxing/buffing before trying a finish like Permagloss. Be sure to use a non-silicone wax, though, or it could cause some finishing problems. This might restore the shine to it without a lot of ???? work involved.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: January 12, 2006 04:41PM

Thanks I will give that a try first, if that does not work then is Permagloss my next hope? Do you suggest anything other than alcohol when removing tape residue?

Jeff

Date: January 12, 2006 04:46PM

I guess I've never had any tape residue on a rod blank, Jeff. I use 3M or Scotch (which is 3M) masking tape and it's never left a residue on there for me. I don't think alcohol cuts tape residue very good, does it?

I don't know what would be safe for that use, I guess.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.46.245.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 05:22PM

Hi Jeff,
When I used Fiberglass blanks (Conolon, Silaflex, and Harnell) many years ago I often cleaned the surface with alcohol, acetone, and MEK witn no harm coming to the blank. When 3M Company came out with thei graphite blank, I bought one and was using aceone to claen up some spill, when I noticed that the finish had softended. When I rubbed it the finish began to come off. Subsequently I learned that graphite blanks are coated with materials that are very susceptible to solvents like those mentioned above.

While I haven't tried it on a blank, you might try Goo Be Gone on a part of the blank that will be covered by a reel seat or cork grip. I'm sure it will remove tape residue, but the solvent in the Goo Be Gone may also affect the blank coating. I'd try it on a spare piece of blank if you have one.

Good Luck,

Mike Blomme

Date: January 12, 2006 05:27PM

There really is not alot of tape residue it is 3M too. I was just concerned about any contamination of the wraps, a little too concerned I think. Being my first rod and a gift for my Father, I am very nervous and want all to go well. Thanks for your reply

Jeff
Ogden, UT

Date: January 12, 2006 05:36PM

Was the tape on the rod for a long time or in some extra warm temp (direct sunlight, front of a heater???). I guess I've probably never had masking tape on a blank more than 24 hours, either, Jeff.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: January 12, 2006 05:40PM

Thanks Mike great info, many of the books I've read on rod building have many "Do Nots" in them., but never mention alcohol. In fact suggest alcohol to clean up excess epoxy, which can easily get on a blank. Oh well, that's what is great about this hobby learning from past mistakes makes your next rod even better.

Jeff
Ogden, UT

Date: January 12, 2006 05:49PM

I guess it was on for a few days as I went outside to test cast for proper guide size and placement. Maybe that could be it as it is winter cold here and then going back to room temp. Maybe the temp changes and length of time it was on the blank? Thanks

Jeff
Ogden, UT

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2006 05:52PM

Try the 3M blue painter's tape - it tends to come off cleanly, even after many days or weeks.

Most likely, you have run into a spot on the blank that wasn't prepped well by St. Croix. The paint they applied didn't stick well, or a drop of something got into or on it. It's very likely to be nothing more than a small cosmetic imperfection that will have no bearing on the structure of the blank itself.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.tci.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 05:58PM

Jeff,
If the buffing does not work to restore the glossy finish try a spray can of Krylon gloss acrylic.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2006 05:59PM by Raymond_Adams.

Date: January 12, 2006 06:06PM

Thanks Tom. I will use that tape in the future.

Jeff
Ogden, UT

Date: January 12, 2006 06:13PM

Thanks Raymond, as this is only 1/2 inch blemish spot that should be easy to spray.

Jeff
Ogden, UT

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 06:14PM

St. Croix blanks in my experience do NOT do well with alcohol. I actually stripped a SCII using nothing but alcohol, right down to the bare graphite along the entire length.

Fun to watch people cast it and try to figure out what it was, though.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Date: January 12, 2006 06:46PM

Scott
You hit it on the button, it is a ST Croix SCII spinning blank. Thanks for your input.

Jeff
Ogden, UT

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 09:37PM

This blank sounds like a low end blank. I think your best bet is to use rod gloss. It is a pain in the but but you well get a nice finish. Also would a wrap cover the defect
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 10:20PM

I agree with Scott,
The MATTE finish on most St. Croix blanks is very tender and will wipe off with alcohol or anything stronger.. I asked a St. Croix employee about this one time, and his response was "Why would you wipe a blank with alcohol?" It doesn't matter if it's a low end blank or an SCV the matte finish is just not durable at all.

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 12, 2006 10:25PM

Alcohol will take the shine off a lot a car lacquers and even powdercoated metal. It’s generally safe but it’s always a good idea to test the but of the blank first when you plan to use it.
Regards Charles

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster