I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

a good micrometer
Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.228.madbbs.com)
Date: January 11, 2006 07:16PM

Im looking for a decent micrometer any body have any oppions on a good one

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: a good micrometer
Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 08:02PM

I picked up a 6" digital caliper at Harbor Freight last week which was surprisingly nice for $16.99. Accurate to .001" which seems plenty good for rodbuilding work.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: January 11, 2006 08:18PM

But for only 12.99 you can get a 6" dial caliper at HF and never worry about the battery running down.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 08:31PM

The 6" Harbor Freight digital caliper is very easy to read and I liked it so much I purchased a second one to use in the "dirty" area. I also have a dial caliper - it's just growing dust because of difficulty reading the small numbers unless I use a magnifier. At $12.99, the digital one is a great buy. Stan

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 10:07PM

Ditto! The "digital" type is the way to go! I also have a 3in plastic sliding caliper that I got thru @#$%&.com
and I find I reach for that one a lot for ease of use. I think a paid a couple of bucks!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Dave Scranton (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 11, 2006 10:13PM

as a former machinist a quality caliper is a great tool. dials are great if you can read the numbers as stated. for ease of use digital are the way to go. easy to read and re-zero if needed.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 10:51PM

Raymond, Raymond, Raymond... Those were FREE! lol We gave the plastic ones away with a $20 order or something like that because they were "off a tic".

Rob, we've got a nice 6" Stainless Steel Digital that reads both inch & metric that's great for rod building. Makes it easy as different component manufactures use different scales. This covers all the bases with the push of a button (switching inch to metric) and also make converting inch to metric a no brainer. It comes in a case with a spare battery (watch type) for $17. Accuracy is +/- .0005"

Also, stick to a caliper rather than a micrometer because the caliper will provide both inside & outside measurements, where a micrometer won't. I find the "inside" jaws VERY helpful when laying out wraps. It's a serious time saver during layout.

I don't think we have them up on the site yet, but drop me an email and I can get you hooked up!

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2006 11:18PM by Mark Griffin.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 11:14PM

Hi Mark,
My memory is not what is used to be I guess!! LOL!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 09:08AM

I have a steel dial and a 'plastic' dial caliper. I scratched a blank once with the steel one and just relegated it to my reloading bench and stick with the plastic one on rod building now. Something to think about...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: James M. Martin (---.dsl.yntwoh.ameritech.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 11:30AM

If you are looking for an actual micrometer and not calipers I would suggest Starrett or Brown and Sharpe. They have been two of the best names for a very long time. Mitutoyo has gained popularity for decent quality at a lower cost than the before mentioned companies. When it comes to micrometers I do not like digital read-outs and certainly do not like electronics in either my micrometers or calipers. In my opinion you cant beat the standard vernier scale for micrometers or a dial for calipers. If you want quality measuring tools they are going to cost more than the cheap chinese imports. However, they wil be accurate, stay accurate and you will only need to buy them once. Expext to pay anywhere for $80-$150 for a quality 0-1 micrometer. I think I paid $120 for my Browne & Sharpe calipers about 8 years ago. When I bought these tools it was because I was working as a die maker and needed quality. They have served me well.

$20 import calipers are good for most rodbuilding tasks. If you are going to be doing any machining you may want to buy something better.

James

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 02:46PM

Amen! James is telling it like it is. Cheap micrometers get you by at rod building tasks as long as they keep working but if you ever get use to good quality vernier scale micrometers it is hard to have much faith in the cheaper counterparts.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 04:12PM

I use a Starrett micrometer. Its a pricey tool, but very accurate, and I have other uses for it.

Lou

Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 08:44PM

Mitutoyo mics are very good but are at times a little bulky, Brown/Sharpe very good,Starrett best. Digital stuff is good but primarily for less experienced users. Be careful of any mic with carbide tips as they can scratch high finishes.
If you are using them mostly for rod building the caliper is maybe a more versitile tool. Mics are better for reloading and checking bullet diameters and case diameters calipers for over all length or use a dial indicator.
I dont know that as a rod builder that a mic would give you any advantage over a caliper. Digital is fine but watch out for the tips when using the id features they will scratch. metric / english feature is nice (stupid tip tops and guides standards)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster