I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

med spin guides?
Posted by: Alex Petley (---.autobahnaccess.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 09:41PM

I usually build fly rods, but have two spin rods to build. They are Rainsinshadow RX7 9 ft 12-25 lb line up to 1 1/ 2 oz .
I am having a heck of a time deciding what type of guides to use. Do many people use double foot guides all the way up , part way , not at all. They are to be used for saltwater fishing from a boat. They will not be used by me.
I was going to use new concept system, but have not ordered anything yet.
Any help on this would be nice.
Cheers Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: med spin guides?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 10:31PM

I would use all single foots with a Forhan wrap. Alconites are a good choice for the concept system I would use BLAG fly type size 8's for all but the first 3

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 11:40PM

I second Mike's advise and add that your Butt guide most likely be a #25 or #30 depending on the spool size
of the reel that would be used. You will need the reel or at least one like it to set up the New Guide Concept.
A good starting point for selecting the ring size of the butt guide is 50% reel spool diameter.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: January 11, 2006 12:07AM

Thank you for the help. It sounds like a good idea and I have some #8 BLAG's. I will borrow a reel.
Cheers Ron.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 11, 2006 03:51AM

ALEX: - I'm curious what these two 9' RainShadow spinning rods will be used for, in saltwater from a boat? ... Are these blanks the RS RX-7 ISA-108-6-F ...? Thanks, CMH+++

RAINSHADOW RX-7 GRAPHITE ... SALMON / STEELHEAD
ISA-108-6-F Matte Clear 9'0" 2-pc 12-25lb. 0.75 - 1.50oz.
0.580” 6.0 Mod-Fast Hvy 4.02oz. $75.00-Add

Date: January 11, 2006 11:39AM

Cliff:
Yes I believe they are salmon/steelhead blanks. Rainshadow ISA 1026f matt 9 ft 2 pc .75 to 1.5 oz . I got them from Utmost and a nice price from Carol, a little plug for her.
Somebody recomded them as a longer blank to make into a spin rod. My niece lives in Dubia and goes fishing for baracuda there. She wanted a rod and this was the best I could figure out. I think they go out in a boat and cast plugs to these things. The longer rod should help to cast a little farther and I figured the blank was heavey enough that she would not break it if she really yanks on it. I know very little about this if you have any input it would help me.
Cheers Ron

Date: January 11, 2006 08:36PM

Where is Dubia?
Are these the same "barracuda" of the Florida Keys or another fish?
A Y-frame guide layout of 30-(25-20)-16-10-8-8-8-8-TT (mm) may work for you. Lots of (minor) variation here. -CMH+++

Date: January 12, 2006 10:31PM

It is in the United Arab Emirates. It is just becoming a popular fishing place, I would not think it is cheap to fish there unless you know the locals, but that is true of most places. As far as I know it is the same barracuda there as far as fishing goes. It may be a seperate species.
Thank you for the guide size info.
Cheers Ron.

Date: January 12, 2006 11:28PM

Alex - Sounds like those barracuda are about the same tropical ambush-wolf / attack-submarine-torpedos as we have in Florida. A good frisky bait-fish or a life-like plug or plastic body tube lure action is a good choice for barracuda. In fact, I haven't looked for them in a while, and I don't know who carries such lures anymore (try a saltwater lure catalog), but a tube lure is a good choice. It has about a 3/4 oz egg-sinker in the head behind a ~2/0 barrel swivel that is thru-rigged on heavy wire or stranded cable to a single hook at the end of a slant cut surgical tube. Another hook can be rigged mid-length for even more exciting un-hooking sessions. They last a while and are repairable and less expensive than losing an $8 plug to these violent and toothy critters. Just cut the surgical tube to length, slant-slice the whip-tail, re-cut & crimp some cable or do a haywire twist on some single strand wire. Slide the surgical tube over the egg-head sinker at the end of the day, and your ready for the next trip. With a half-dozen rigged and ready to go when she starts out, that should get her (your niece) thru a day's tide, and the repair work can be done off the water later. Red is a popular color, but I suspect a bright blue-green color would be good / better. Looks like a needlefish, the Lays Potato chip of the barracuda - "Nobody can eat just one."

"Dubai" - United Arab Emirates - Lots of good luck ... !! ... After recently seeing the movie Syriana (which I do not recommend until the DVD comes out) and Munich (which was much better and worth the ticket price, IMO), I am not planning any travel outside the USA and its Protectorates any time soon.
-Cliff Hall+++, Florida-USA*****

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster