I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What's the ideal butt guide distance again?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 02:15PM

The New Guide Concept method puts a butt guide in the 17"-23" range for freshwater rods. And some of the recent posts I've read advocating smaller guides to get the lime tamed quicker and I've also read larger butt guides placed closer to the reel. Another post stated where a guy could see considerable casting differences by moving the butt guide up or down an inch or so.

So is there a "preffered" ring size and distance that works better than others to give me an idea "which way to lean" during my analysis? I was going to use 30mm guides on 3 different spinning rods I'm building since the spool diameters on my reels are 49mm to 62mm. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's the ideal butt guide distance again?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 02:46PM

I would suggest setting up your guides using the "New Concept" system and let it show you where to place your guides and then do a static distribution test. How long are the rods?? Half spool size is a pretty good general starting point. I usually start with a 25 but lately, I have been starting with a 20 on 6 footers with good results. Usually end up with something like 25 12 10 #6 fly type SF to the tip or 20 12 8 #6 flys to the tip. Let the blank tell you were to put them.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 11, 2006 08:47AM

Thanks Mike but I was looking for a little more meat on the bone. I understand the New Guide Concept method and the static distribution test (which can vary from rod builder to rod builder). What I'm looking for is that exact "sweet spot" range for the butt guide that has proven to work the best time amd time again.

I'm sure everybody starts with their butt guide per the NGC method, what I would like to know is which way did they move it to during test casting to get the best results of the line coming off the spool? And which actually has proven to work better - a 25mm guide further from the spool or a 30mm guide closer to the spool? Thanks.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 02:15PM

If you want a "SWEET SPOT" it is 24" +or- 2" from the center of the reel seat. Jesse

Date: January 11, 2006 05:48PM

Every blank reel combo is different. Way to many variable for a useful answer. You're asking for the impossible, IMO.

Date: January 12, 2006 03:45PM

I disagree Mike. The only difference should be the size of the spool and how high the spinning reel sits off the blank - aka 1000 series, 2500 series, 4000 series reels. Based on a lot of conversation on this site from some certain knowledgeable individuals, overrall rod length appears somewhat irrelevant. And I agree with those that put a premium on getting the line under control as quickly as possible and that the butt guide location is the major contributor in affecting this.

A spinning reel in a specific size catagory out to have a specific distance to the butt guide that it performs better at than other distances. What I can't figure out is why nobody keeps track (at least I've seen no indication) of guide spacing on their rod building. I'm a very low number rod builder. If I were making 100 rods a year, believe me I wouldn't be wasting time tweaking guides up and down the blank an 1/8" trying to squeeze out a 93' cast over a 92' one. There has to be some consistancy and sanity in an optimum distance for a butt guide based on the size of the reel.

Date: January 12, 2006 11:32PM

I'm not saying that I'm right, but I disagree. I have built rods on the same model blanks and ended up with the butt guide differing by several inches after static deflection/test casting due to things like guide models, type of casting, etc. As far as records go, I would be surprized if a majority of buildrs didn't keep records on every rod they build as to guide type/spacing, etc. I'm sure a standard chart would be easy to make but would it provide maximum efficiency??? To me, that is what makes a custom rod special. knowing that I got the maximum performance out of a rod.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster