I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to remove a real seat from a broken rod
Posted by: Cory Barbier (---.sip.msy.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 12:36PM

I am looking for any suggestions to recover a real seat from a broken fly rod.
The rod is totally destroyed but I would like to reuse the real seat on constructing a new rod. This is the first time I have had to do this and was wondering if there were any tricks to getting it off. The seat was set with 5 min. epoxy. If all else fails I guess I could drill the broken rod out of it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to remove a real seat from a broken rod
Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.cable.ubr03.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: January 09, 2006 01:45PM

Hi Cory
I have found the easist way of attempting this,and not all attempts work ,is to hold the reel fitting immersed in a pan of boiling water until something gives,normally the old epoxy,then try to pull the fitting away from the blank.
one word of warning.
Be carefull there are no protruding splinters on the blank and if this were a blank you were going to try to re use-in this case we know you arent- dont overheat or you could damage the blank.

Bryan

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 02:12PM

If you mounted with RodBond, the boiling water technique may not work. It may not get the components hot enough. I recently disassembled a reel seat, insert, and rod blank and only ruined the impregnated wood insert. I posted the procedure and results on this forum 1 or two months back.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Posted by: Walter Willoughby (146.130.125.---)
Date: January 09, 2006 02:14PM

If you have a lathe with a end chuck or an accurate drill press, you can cut the blank and re-bore the seat to remove the blank, otherwise the boiling water or heat gun might work. I've had some work with boiling water and some that did not.

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 02:19PM

Couple of hints for boiling -

Get the water to a fast boil before you start.

If the reel seat has a wood insert (which is a great heat insulator) you need to heat it from the inside out - take off the end cap (alcohol torch or better propane torch will work), Then wrap the seat in a heavy freezer bag. Take a pencil (the eraser end and push the bag up the butt end of the blank. This will help protect the wood while getting the heat inside the blank

Get the biggest pot you can - you'll want to lean it out as far as you can so the

Once you've removed the end cap, you can look at the construction - use you judgment on how long to leave it in the water.For a well done reel seat (small bushings and or wood insert), I generally start off with 1 minute and then 30 sec intervals - I try to twist it between each dip. You'll generally feel (or smell) it start to give.

For some reel seat with think masking tape bushings, you can leave it in for 15-30 secs and it'll come right off.

If you want to save the blank - don't lean the blank on the lip of the pot.

Christian

Posted by: Sam Douglas (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 02:26PM

Do a search for "Jesse Buky" and you will find his method of removing a reel seat.
Fastest,easiest way I know of.
Don't have time to go into it myself.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 10:17PM

Jesse`s method is for broken seats not for seats to be reused.It does work great though.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Ross Andersen (---.elictc01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 06:19AM

I ruined a Pac Bay Saltwater seat by bioling it. It became discolored after emersion. I find getting a piece of steel rod glowing hot with a torch and jamming it up the blank works well. It will slip right off. Even the cork will slip off, if you want it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster