I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Plexiglass in grips
Posted by: Steven Penzes (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 03:59PM

I'm thinking about some embellishments for my next grip. What I'd like to do is create a laminate which I insert into the grip. The laminate would be a two thin sheets of plexiglass bonded to a burl cork ring. This would then be glued into the grip in lieu of a single cork ring.
Is plexiglass the right material or should I use some other plastic?
Does Rod Bond adhere to plexiglass (or other suggested plastics)?
Where (preferably in Canada) can I buy the appropriate plastic sheeting?
Thanks
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Plexiglass in grips
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2006 05:04PM

Plexiglas sheets, acrylic trays or boards, poker chips, etc., are all good sources for colored plastic trim rings. Most epoxies will adhere to the hard plastic types. There will be an article on this type technique in the next issue of RodMaker.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 06:43PM

Tom,
Will this include cutting and polishing techniques also?

Posted by: Jan Podsiedlik (---.3web.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 10:53PM

Another good sourse for plastic trim rings are old vinyl records. Everybody is familiar with black vinyl records, but during the 1980's some records have been pressed in transparent vinyl. A couple of weeks ago I was in my local antique's mall ( in Edmonton, Canada :) ) and have seen them in clear, red, burgundy, pink, purple, and many shades of blue. Look for records with colours in the title or band name such as Deep Purple or the soundtrack to the movie Pretty in Pink. Myself, I prefer black vinyl, but it is a "guy thing" (as in Mr. Jan Podsiedlik). The main advantage of vinyl over plexi is that it is tougher and so less likely to crack or chip when using thin sheets.

There you go, my first contribution to this fine forum.

Jan

Posted by: Allen Forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 02:14PM

Try looking in the bottom of the caddy that your blsnk cds come in failing that try a bit of acetone on the top of the "free cd`s that you can get hey presto lots of clear acrylic

Posted by: Allen Forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 02:50PM

Try looking in the bottom of the caddy that your blsnk cds come in failing that try a bit of acetone on the top of the "free cd`s that you can get hey presto lots of clear acrylic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster