I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flocking problem
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 11:13AM

Am I doing something wrong? I applied the flocking to my rod grip according to the instructions in the library article (sealed cork and let it dry for 2 hours, stirred adhesive, applied adhesive, flocked, flocked, and flocked some more using the air gun and compressor and allowed it to dry for 24 hours before touching). I brushed off the excess and the grip looked and felt AMAZING! I had complete coverage. Now I find that I can scrape the flocking and adhesive off pretty easily with my fingernail or even rub it off with my thumb. Black residue from the adhesive also comes off on my thumb. Is it possible that the adhesive isn't curing properly? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Scott Lewis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flocking problem
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 11:38AM

The adhesive problem you report can happen for a lot of different reasons. The most common thing is a miss-match of binders in cork fill, your method of preparation of the cork substrate, use of solvents and the sealing process. All of these issues will be completely dealt with at the Flocking Workshop in Charlotte. Ralph O'Quinn will be present and his comments will be directed at those things which can cause the adhesive problem you note. Not knowing all the particulars in your case I would suggest that you hide all the solvents and cleaners that you might use to wipe down the cork before sealing.

Gon Fishn

Date: January 08, 2006 11:48AM

The only thing I used is U-40 cork sealer as recommended in Tom's article.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 12:25PM

Just a guess, but maybe the adhesive wasn't thick enough? I actually "chill" mine for a few minutes in the fridge so that it's nice and thick. Also, I usually let my cork seal dry over night. I have no idea if either of these things are necessary, though. I haven't done a ton of them, but no problems so far!

BTW, all mine so far have been done with the "mini flocker" kits. Thanks to Santa, though, I will be using a new compressor and air gun as soon as Bill S. teaches me how!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 12:38PM

Scott Lewis -Your email address is "hidden" on the board. Please go to the Control Center and go through the process of confirming your email address so we can communicate off board.

Thanks
Bill Stevens

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2006 01:48PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 04:49PM

Scott
24 hours is enough time on the adhesive to handle it - gently- and find some place to store it for another 4 days. It takes a MINIMUM of 5 days for that adhesive to cure sufficiently to withstand poking and rubbing and general using it for what it eventually intended to be. It is easy to scrape it off with the fingernail for 3 even 4 days, and you can rub it all off with your thumb for about 3 days. Give it at least 5 days at room temperature and then judge it. Room temperature means 72 deg. F minumum, for the entire 24hr. period. If you have a room which is 72 deg. in the daytime then goes down to 60 something at night ---- add another 3 or4 days to the cure cycle.

Ralph

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2006 05:06PM

What type grip were you working with - one you turned yourself or a preformed and filled grip? This can be a factor, sometimes.

The article does plainly state to wait a minimum of 48 hours before you start brushing or testing the flock. You can gently handle it and shake of any extra after 24, but it states to wait a full 48, minimum before mounting the grip or brushing it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2006 05:22PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: January 08, 2006 05:56PM

Thanks, all. Yes, I just needed to wait longer because tonight the grip seems to have set. I was rushing things and didn't see that line in the article about waiting 48 hours. My fault!

Posted by: Alex Petley (---.autobahnaccess.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 09:50PM

The first one I did I mixed the glue with a pencil and then did as you, it took at least 5 days or more for the glue on the pencil to dry. So I would do the same and set a test drop aside and then you will know when it is dry without messing up your rod.
Cheere Ron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster