I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gel pen
Posted by: george wright (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 01:40PM

I'm new to rod building so I was practicing inlays, wraps,& applying flex coat.
I wrote some letters on the blank, [ practice, WHEW ] I let the writing dry one
hour while a small flood light was shining on the blank. When I applied the
Flex Coat [regular] I noticed what I first though was bubbles. It turned out to be
very small flecks of green from the green gel pen. The pen was a Pentel, Metallic
[green] Gel roller, made in Japan. I had purchased it from Cabelas,[they should
send me profite sharing]. Anyone have advice for writing on blanks? I

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gel pen
Posted by: Tom Nair (206.163.1.---)
Date: January 07, 2006 03:31PM

Try a Sanford uniball gel fine. They are available at micheals and online. Just write your inscription, dry a few minutes, spray Krylon fix a tiff over it and apply your finish coat. Easy! You can see how it looks in the photo section under handles and grips. Page one. Mine say's first flyrod. Doubleclick on photo to enlarge. Tom

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 03:58PM

George
You might try putting a coat of CP over your inscription fist, then epoxy

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: January 07, 2006 04:35PM

Many of the gels have a problem with smearing. The fix-a-tiff that Tom suggested will 'lock' the gel in place without ever touching it with a brush. Have fun!

Jay

Posted by: KEVIN BOGAN (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 05:17PM

GEORGE, SHARPIE MAKES PERMANENT MARKERS IN COLORS, BUT THEY HAVE RECENTLY COME OUT WITH BOTH GOLD AND SILVER, AND IN FINE AND MEDIUM POINT. AFTER APPLYING A COAT OF COLOR PRESERVER SHOULD HELP TO PREVENT ANY RUNNING FROM THE EPOXY COAT.
KEVIN BOGAN

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 05:39PM

Any of the gel pens will work. The trick is to spray some thing over let dry then clear. A lacquer clear spray is good. Dust Coats, not wet or the pen will run, maybe two. I run a hair dryer over it and then clear. Does the wife have any laquer hair spray.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2006 05:40PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: January 07, 2006 08:11PM

I quit using gel pens unless I spray them with fix-a-tif or other clear sprays. I tried the CP route and still managed to get the smudges. The combination of liquids (CP or epoxy) and brush strokes really compound the problem. But if a spray is applied first, the ink has a protective barrier between itself and the top coat. Best of luck!

Jay

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 08:44AM

I have also heated the gel pens with a hair dryer several times and used finish over with no problems. I use a lacquer spray now cause it is easer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster