I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow SWS70MH Guide Suggestions
Posted by: Don Jones (---.dsl.hrbg.epix.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 09:48PM

Wondering if I could get some suggestions for guides to use on this blank. I'm building it for a friend of mine. He wanted a rod for stripers and blue fish. I gave him the choice between this blank and the SWS70M. Other specs are 15 -30 line and 1 - 4 oz. lure. I primarily build bass rods so this is a little new to me. I think I want to stick with Fuji guides. I was looking at MNSG or ICMNSG. Because of price he'll probably opt for the Alconite rings. I wanted to give him a few options but wanted to get opinions from here first.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow SWS70MH Guide Suggestions
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 09:59PM

Casting or spinning? Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Date: January 06, 2006 10:03PM

That would help, wouldn't it????? Spinning.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: January 06, 2006 10:17PM

What size reel? Using bait or technique that would require shock leaders or line connections?

Without enough info something like:

25-16-12-8JL- 7-7-7-7- tip

or

30-20-12-8JL-8-8-8-8-tip

You will need to play around with the guide sizes and numbers so that you get a good static guide test result. Those suggestions are just to get you started/looking in a positive direction but should not be substituted for an actual static guide test.

Hope that helps

Dan Grulke

Date: January 06, 2006 10:40PM

Dan, he is suppose to let me know what reel he is thinking about getting on Monday. Are you suggesting the BYAG guides? If so, will they be strong enough for this application?

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 10:55PM

I go answer the door and when I return... LOL. Seriously, Don, Dan gave you as much help as I could with guide size. Look in the above Library if you need help with static displacement guide positioning. Especially since I don't build heavier than 20 lb. test rods. 20# is as heavy as I fish with. I'm an ultra-light & fly fisher. That said, I love Fuji Alconite guides and think I'd go with the B/CYAG guides. I've found them plenty strong enough for Flathead Catfish, 20# line. That's with the drag set between 4 & 5 lb. Or you could use the BMNAG guides. I know they're strong enough. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: January 07, 2006 06:08AM

Don,

Sorry didn't read your post close enough. If he is planning on throwing lures up in the 4 oz range I probably would use the double foots the ones you mentioned or the BMNAG's that Don suggested. These would definately be "stronger" more durable (especially if the guy is hard on the rod) but would make it heavier and slow the action some.

I prefer the single foot Alconites (less weight). These should be BYAG's for the first 4 then follwed by the BLAG's (fly guides) to finish it out. I forgot to mention in the concept style with a locking wrap. Alot of of the musky rod's are built with double foots for the first two or three guides and then single foot running guides and are capable of throwing heavier lures and handling 20+ pound fish.

I have used the single foots for fish up to 25 pounds no problem.

Give him the pricing, info, and pluses/minuses of both options and let him make the choice. Just get as much info from him as possible so you can build exactly what he wants for the application/tyoe of fishing he will use it for.

Dan Grulke

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster