I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide prepping wheel
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 10:37AM

Got me a bench a grinder from Santa. What was the buffing or grinding wheel that was so popular for prepping guide feet?

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide prepping wheel
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2006 11:18AM

Grinding guides on a high speed grinder is tricky - you have a lot of speed and if the wheel clogs you get a lot of heat and can easily ruin the temper of the guide foot, making it extremely brittle.

You want at least a friable aluminum oxide wheel. These are most often white in color. Friable means that as you grind, small particles of the wheel break away, which throughs off ground metal particles and constantly exposes fresh cutting grit. Thus, it cuts faster and generate less heat.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 06, 2006 11:33AM

Re: Remember, too much tension = BIG MISTAKE
Tom Kirkman (Moderator) Sept. 27, 2005 12:03

"There is no better tool for removing burrs and sharp edges than the Unified Wheel sold by Bingham Enterprises. In a matter of just 2 or 3 seconds it will perfectly burnish a guide foot, top, bottom and side and ensure that you never again have a sharp edge or burr on your guide feet. I wouldn't want to ever again prep a guide without the help of this fantastic item. I think they still sell for less than $10 and will last a very long time. I can't imagine trying to do this job with emery or crocus cloth, or a Dremel tool." -Tom Kirkman.

Date: January 06, 2006 11:40AM

The Unified wheel is fantastic, but it will not shape a guide foot. You have to do that by file, grinding wheel or sanding belt/disc. The Unified wheel only serves to remove rough surfaces and burrs after the actual shaping operation has been performed.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 11:55AM

Steve I used the Unified wheel from Bingham's for buffing. You don't need to know which grit as they ony carry the right one.

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.cttel.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 11:57AM

I recently switched to a belt sander. I am super happy with the results, it's quick & easy! Ed

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 12:13PM

Dremel type tool for me!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 12:17PM

I think the question was:
"What was the buffing or grinding wheel that was so popular for prepping guide feet?"

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 04:37PM

The unified wheel was what I was looking for. Couldn't remember. I've been shaping my guides with a Dremel but I think I may switch over to a belt sander. I also gotta get something to hold those small guides. My fingers get tired of gripping after a while.

Thanks for the replies,
Steve

Date: January 06, 2006 04:47PM

Bingham Enterprises has the correct Unified wheel.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 05:41PM

To hold the small guides, go to a good hardware store and get plastic nuts and bolts of the proper sizes. get a beveled head on the bolt head to be able to "hold" in the round guide ring better. They work GREAT. Read it on this board and bought some and have been very happy with them.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 06:55PM

I use a sanding flap wheel sold by Sears. 3in. dia. It has a 1/4in. shaft for drill or lathe and is NOT the flap wheel with foam between the emery cloth flaps. This one comes in 80 to 180 grit. I mostly use the 180. With the Clemens guide holder I bought umpteen years ago this works quickly and easily. I polish the guide feet on a cloth wheel on my 6in. grinder with the white polishing compound. Your way may get quicker results (?), but I've reached the point with practice that time per guide averages about a minute. This is one of those things with more than one "right way" to do it. I've done guide feet this way since before the unified wheel appeared on this site. Rodbuilding is a Great way to endure the times I can't fish, much better than television. LOL. Oh, is there a source for a 6in. Unified wheel? I'll try it instead of the cloth wheel & polish. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 08:58PM

I've been using a Dremel with the diamond disk and think it works fine. However, I decided to try the 1 X 30 inch belt sander Harbor Freight sells since so many folks have given it positive comments. Also, decided to look into it since Harbor Freight just opened a new store in Wilmington, NC - about 50 miles away and had special pricing. Haven't tried it yet. Will post a comparison between the two methods as I check it out. I suspect it'll be very useful for guide foot prep. Stan

Posted by: Don Jones (---.dsl.hrbg.epix.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 10:02PM

I have the Harbor Freight 1 X 30 as Stan mentions. It works great, follow up with the unified wheel from Bingham Enterprises...........takes no time at all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster