I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing technique
Posted by: Robert Miller (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 11:10PM

I just posted "locking wraps", now....what is the best way to finish them. I have a black Sig V blank with black gudebrod nylon A thread and chrome single foot wire guides with the forhan wrap. I have color preserver and FC lite formula. What should I do? Thanks, this is my first rod!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing technique
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 05, 2006 11:39PM

Robert,

I don't use color preserver on black thread. So, if it was me, I'd apply as thin a coat of finish to the wraps as I can, let it cure, then repeat. (Without color preserver, the finish will penetrate all the way through the wraps, making a strong and solid connection to the blank-I find this desirable unless there is a cosmetic reason to use the color preserver).

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 08:49AM

On those locking wraps that extend past the guide frame apply just a tad of finish with a dental pick or tootpick and turn for leveling. Do not get too much on the end past the foot or it will try to climb the locking thread and extend up on the frame. NO CP repeat on black as per Buddy! The only cosmetic reason for the Flexcoat CP on black is if you want the wrap to look like the Milky Way at Night in the sunlight.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Robert Miller (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 03:44PM

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, I don't put finish on the wraps which extend up the frame...correct

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 03:57PM

ALL thread has to be covered with finish estended slightly over the edge to keep moisture out! Not sure what you mean by wrap extending up the frame though.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 05:35PM

just be careful when applying the finish to the wraps past the guide
i just finished a 3wt fly rod and thought i was putting just a dab of finish on it and it still ended up climbing the guide foot time to strip and start over
good luck

david williams

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 08:04PM

I use the Forhan and had a devil of a time with the thread wrapped way to high on the frame. I the first thing that I had to learn is where to start the locking wraps and when to stop the loops and swap back to security wraps. If you are using C or D thread it will be much more difficult to keep the wraps low than if using A. I am really looking forward to the opportunity to talk directly to Rich Forhan in Charlotte to hear how he approaches the extent of the locking wraps.

I build bass and popping rods and feel this technique is really mandatory when using single foot and fly guides. The way the manufacturers have chosen to install their bends are also quite important. If you look real close some of the guides have two 45 degree bends from the foot to get the guide frame to vertical and some are simply bent to 90 degrees directly. If you are working with one of the fly guides that has the one bend the locking wraps will almost force you to go to the vertical with the loops.

Most will tell you this is a very simple task and it may be but to do it correctly may just require a little more thought.

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster