I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Funny Thing On The Way To The Forum
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 05, 2006 12:47PM

I have been on a obsessive/compulsive high for the past few weeks getting prepared for Charlotte. My "boss" has been standing back and quietly watching until she gave me final marching orders three days ago. We have a very nice solid oak front door with an oval cut glass window that gets sanded and redone each spring with Minwax Polyurethane. I did not do a good job last year and the finish started looking bad late last fall. My neighbors are all on vacation and spend time kibitzing my work.

Boss: You are NOT leaving to go anywhere out of town, including that thing in Charlotte, unless my door is redone before you go!!!

Answer: Yes Maam! BTW it is now 73 and sunny at noon.

As I am putting the final coat on the door the following thoughts come to mind.

I wonder if Puter would be out in his yard this time of year applying a finish to an outside door?

Andy Dear needs to investigate the market for permanent door finishes and enter a new market for Doormaster!

I wonder if the door was marbled would the police have to direct traffic in the neighborhood?

If the sun yellows the finish in the next month I wonder if the Boss will make me redo the thing?

If the door was round I wonder if my rod wrapper could turn it with such a large load? If I had it on the turner in the front yard the neighbors probably will not come back and mess with me. They would then know I am nuts.

If I finished the entire surface with a quart or two of Threadmaster could I go to The National Rodbuilding Show next year without having to redo the door?

Gon Fishn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Funny Thing On The Way To The Forum
Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: January 05, 2006 01:32PM

Spring projects, Bill? It's the first week of January. We've had rain, freezing rain and snow lately. Luckily today here in North Central Oregon it's nice enough for a short walk and I'll probably take down the Christmas lights.

That's OK though, we'll brag in July when it's 85 degrees and 30% humidity.

Temperature in the 70's does sound good, currently our temp is 38 slightly over cast. Headed out for our walk.

Mike

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 01:33PM

Bill,
Thanks for the levity! I wish RodMaker and this Forum had some space devoted specifically to Humor relating to our craft. A comic strip and humorous essays in Rodmaker would only improve the already great publication. One can only imagine the wealth of material that could be forthcoming from the vast experiences of the members of his Forum and RodMaker subscribers. Tom, please take notice.
David

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 01:50PM

This is a test

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.elnk.wvfibernet.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 02:43PM

funny how the world rotates around women..huh ?? just ain't right...

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 05, 2006 03:14PM

Definitely not doing doors at this time of year, Bill. BRRRRR!! I can't imagine leaving the door off the front of the house for 15 minutes even.

Do not, I repeat, do not marble your front door. I want to be the only person in the world with one of those. You'd just be a copycat then... LOL!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 05, 2006 03:30PM

Hi Bill, & eveyone,
Home sick here in NY, with temps. bouncing around 20's ---- low 40's, rain , sleet, snow. No work no pay, not even doing a ROD. ( and I have a booth out on Long Island, the 19----22 , Outdoor Expo.
If not for my wife, an RN, working for the state of NY, as a clinical reseacher, I would not have; Health plan, eye glasses, dental, etc.

Now it's only been a year since putting on an addition, soooo about eveyday I hear " when are you going to put the mirror up in our Masterbath ???? "

Of course I'm building it, multi types of wood, in-lays, it's gotta be right, often times I need to be in the mood, to let the creative side get to work, BUT , along side all of my wood working machines is, MY ROD BUILDING EQUIPMENT

>>>>>>>>>>>need I say more???????? thanx, Laurie!

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2006 03:32PM by David von Doehren.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 05:02PM

I went outside yesterday in my tee shirt to pick persimmons off of my tree. Downside, terrible allergy problem the last two weeks. Even a fishing trip to the bay didn't help. However, I have enough sheephead fillets to last me for a while. I have rods to build and flies to tie and just don't feel up to it. Anti-histamines turn me into a zombie.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 05:05PM

Jesse ==== Will I see you at the Chesapeake Outdoors show later this month? I just had to sign up for this one this year!

Dave ==== Any more info (web site or something) about the show in Long Island? October? Hmmm sounds like a good fishing trip could be part of that trip?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 05:13PM

BIll I Have a sugestion that will help with you boss.

"FIND A KNEW ONE"

The last thing a boss is going to do, is to mess with anything related to my fishing.

That being said we've been averaging mid 50's to mid 60's for about 2 weeks now.
Hadn't seen any cold weather yet been a few cold nights, but thats ablout all.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.tci.com)
Date: January 05, 2006 05:20PM

Bill,
Your boss needs to give you a raise and you are breathing to close to the can!! STEP BACK!! WAY BACK!! LOL!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.71.116.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 08:41PM

What is it they say
behind every good man -----------------------------Is a good wo man

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 05, 2006 10:11PM

I think that's "Behind every good man stands a woman who couldn't be more surprised." LOL!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: January 06, 2006 11:22AM

Now THAT'S funny!!!!!!!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 11:56AM

Unfortunately, I have received one of those wooden plaques from a family member with this saying on it. They got a kick out of it and it's been placed in my rod room by my way better half... I think she likes to remind me of that little fact...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 12:48PM

Guess your ---- Married with kids ??

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 01:28PM

boys and grandboys...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 07:12PM

Believe me guy's, you miss them when they're gone!! I lost mine in May last year at 41, to a brain stem bleed. So do what they ask you with a smile and be glad you have them, while you still do!!!

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster