I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sulky & Medeira Thread
Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2006 10:21AM

In finishing up my first rod, I want to put a decal between two gold trim wraps. Because of the distance to the nearest fly shop and the cost for P&H for just a spool of thread, I did some exploring and discovered that my wife has a spool of Sulky gold metallic thread in her sewing box.

Having done a search here, it appears the Sulky thread should work fine for this application. Would most of you concur?

In my search, I also read alot about Medeira thread and was wondering what the difference is between the two. When would I want to use one instead of the other? Are these simply the brand names of the thread and both are similar, or do they describe a specific type of thread?

I'm in the process of doing some test wraps on a dowel rod, with and without CP and am anxious to see the results. Is there anything I should be aware of should I decide to use this stuff on the rod?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sulky & Medeira Thread
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: January 03, 2006 10:31AM

Sulky has no silicone in teh thread, so you cna use it without a problem. Madeira metallics have a silicone in them, you may have a problem and need to coat with CP. MAdeira has deeper colors which look more vibrant under epoxy. Sulky and superior is very nice, buy not as nice as MAdeira. imo.

I think you'r fine with teh Sulky,

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 10:41AM

The Sulky metalics are my favorite, never had any troubles at all.

DR

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: January 03, 2006 12:40PM

You won't have any trouble if you use the "Sulky Original Metallic" but stay away from the " Sulky Silver Metallic" they are a thin flat ribbon and IMHO not suitable for wrapping.

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2006 01:32PM

The Silky I used doesn't have much info on the spool other than "Silky Metallic 142 7007 Germany" (gold). I did my test wraps both with and without CP, applied the FlexCoat Lite, and they really look great - and identical!

Guess I'll move forward with using it on the rod. Thanks for the reassurance!

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 01:50PM

If your Sulky says silver metallic you are OK. I think Bob meant to write sliver metallic which doesn't work.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: January 03, 2006 03:20PM

The Sulky with numbers 7000's is the ok stuff [www.sulky.com]

The Sulky with numbers 8000's is the flat ribbon film, no good [www.sulky.com]

Bob

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 03, 2006 04:33PM

So that should read "Everybody Loves Sulky Sliver-Except Rod Builders" eh, cool grandpa bob?? LOL!

The Sulky sliver only works for accent bands in butt wraps and such; it has NO strength at all.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 04:52PM

The Sulky's with the 142 starting numbers are okay. Stay away from the 145 numbers or other beginning index numbers. I use the 142 numbers extensively for guide wraps and butt wraps.

Dan Grulke

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster