I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

colour weaving on a fly rod
Posted by: Jim Demmons (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 10:30PM

I have been weaving with the Renzetti wonder weaver for awhile.... I have been trying to do a colour weave on a fly rod--6wt., but am having a hard time manipulating the thread, so I don't have uneven bulges (I guess that's what you would call it.) I know there are many experts out there, and I'm not trying to get you to give away your secrets, but do many of you artists do colour weaves on fly rod blanks, or do you mostly do them on larger diameter boat rod blanks?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: colour weaving on a fly rod
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 02, 2006 10:51PM

Not sure what you mean by bulges, sounds like maybe you aren't pulling the thread tight as you weave and at the end of the weave. Weaving on small blanks is no different than larger diameter blanks but will require a small pattern and the use of no larger than A size thread. Cam Clark, one of the weaving pioneers, used to do weaves of flys on his fly rods using OO thread to compensate for the small size diameter of fly rods.
As many of you know, I think all weaves should be done in no larger than A size thread, too me larger thread makes for blocky looking edges in the weaves. Size A thread provides much finer detail but then that statement applys to all thread work on a rod imo.
Post a pic of your bulges and I'm sure you'll get help.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 02, 2006 11:47PM

Hi Jim D. I too am not sure what you mean but bulges. The more layers a pattern has the bulkier it will be but I frequently do patterns for 8 to 9 layers and have little problems hiding the thread. I only do about 4 to6 fly rods a year but have done a lot of weaving on 4 wt. There are NO secrets here but I need to know exactly what the problem is. Please send me a picture as close and clear as possible and so I can enlarge it so maybe I can give you a little better help. A thread is the thread of choice on smaller diameter rods, maybe even 60wt Madeira is better.

Sorry Jim K. I think my sample case speaks for itself and much of it is done with C/D and E for the wrap thread. Dont think of it as blocky edges. See you at FH. lol

docski377@aol.com

Date: January 03, 2006 12:56AM

Maybe time to get your glasses checked Doc.........................I'll bet Luc could get you a discount on new specs if you asked him nicely.............

Posted by: Jim Demmons (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 07:16PM

Ok, I tried pulling the thread--and that helps---the "buldges" are when I change to another colour thread--(sorry I know I'm not making myself clear) Ok--say I am weaving with a green thread (size A) and I now need to go to a red thread. In the wonder weaver I have these threads stacked on top of one another. The problem I seemed to be having is when I bring bring another colour from the bottom of the stack to the top to weave--it maybe I am not putting enough tension on it--but half-way through the weave--I am getting a bit cautious--don't want to break a thread! I'd send a picture--but I dropped my digital camera--and well that's just another story--guess I should have used a little more caution with the camera! Anyway thanks for the help---I'm going to get brave and pull the thread tighter!!!

Date: January 03, 2006 07:32PM

A couple hints that might help, always try and do the color change the same way each time, that is, for ex, I pull the thread on the left side out and let it hand down loose, then I extract the next thread from the right loom and put it in the left slot, then return the hanging thread back to its correct slot on the right.
sometimes with many levels and therefore numerous threads in the same slot, i'll pull all the threads out of the right slot, pick out the one I need and , and make sure it doesn't have to go over or under one of its slotmates prior to going to the left loom.
take your time and keep the threads tight, not too tight cause you can always pull them tight when the weave is completed from both sides.
I'm sure there will be others suggestions also, practice makes perfect, you'll get better with each weave.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 07:32PM

Jim; One thing you should be doing when color change weaving is to take all the threads out of the stack each time and be sure that the one you want isn't wound around another thread and be sure that it seats against the wrapping thread without trapping one of the other threads between it and the wrapping thread. You don't have to pull hard just snug it into place. If you do break one you can put a new thread in and go on but it is a pain and you are better off to be careful in the first place.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2006 07:41PM

Jim give this a try. When you switch colors, grab the whole bundle of threads in a certain number and then take the one you need let it drop replace the others and make the switch after snugging it up a little. Dont get too frisky about tightening, just enought to be snug. Doing it this way should set up a good consistant way to rotate the threads out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster