I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Under wrapped guides
Posted by: Paul Osborne (205.160.235.---)
Date: January 02, 2006 09:58PM

I have built several e-glass rods for catfishing and a couple of graphite muskie , underwrapping all the guides. I have recently been approached by a few bass fisherman interested in my work.

To get the lightest weight and sensitiviy they crave I know a basic wrap is the way to go, but with the price they are willing to pay for a blank I am worried about guide wear against the blank resulting in a break. This is something I have not witnessed first hand and have only read about.

I have been a hobbiest at this craft for about five years and I would like a few oppinions to take into consideration when I build these blanks.

Has anyone out there seen fractures occur due to not underwrapping?
The last thing I want is someone bringing a rod back to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Under wrapped guides
Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.181.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 10:02PM

Paul , if your guides are preped right you will not have any damage to the rod blank . Underwraps DO NOT protect a blank in any way from poor guide prep . Have fun , John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 02, 2006 10:23PM

There's plenty of good reading in the full Threads cited below.
-Cliff Hall+++(CMH).

To double wrap or not Kenneth L. Saums Nov. 8, 2005 08:57PM
[www.rodbuilding.org]
"... what is your take on just single wrapping the guides without an underwrap? Or do I need to double wrap with underwraps? The rods will be used for trolling for kings, bait fishing for old drum, and wreck fishing. Thanks, Ken Saums."

Re: Remember, too much tension = BIG MISTAKE
Tom Kirkman (Moderator) Sept. 27, 2005 12:03
"There is no better tool for removing burrs and sharp edges than the Unified Wheel sold by Bingham Enterprises. In a matter of just 2 or 3 seconds it will perfectly burnish a guide foot, top, bottom and side and ensure that you never again have a sharp edge or burr on your guide feet. I wouldn't want to ever again prep a guide without the help of this fantastic item. I think they still sell for less than $10 and will last a very long time. I can't imagine trying to do this job with emery or crocus cloth, or a Dremel tool." -Tom Kirkman.

how tight should wraps be Bruce A. Tomaselli Nov. 15, 2005 11:28
[www.rodbuilding.org]
"I realize this is a very basic question, but how tight should guide wraps be? Is there anyway kind of method to determine this? Should they be just enough not to sag? Should they be firm or tight? Words such as tight, no too tight, etc. are so arbitrary. Thanks, B.A.T. "

Re: how tight should wraps be Cliff Hall Nov. 16, 2005 11:31
[www.rodbuilding.org]
"... IMO, an underwrap can improve the fit of the curvature of the underside of the guide foot to the rod blank’s radius; provide a cushion under the foot to protect the blank; and increase sliding friction; and damp any rocking fulcrum. IMO, -CMH."

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2006 10:33PM

Properly prepped guide feet will not wear or harm the rod blank. Pay attention to your guide prep - get them nice and flat, yet smooth on the bottom, and you'll be fine.

When it comes to bass rods or similar, underwraps can really reduce rod efficiency, slowing the response and recovery by a noticeable amount. Most bass guys won't like that.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 01:25PM

Of all the bass rod I've built in twenty years. never used an underwrap and have never had one fail at a guide except for shutting it in a door.

Posted by: Paul Osborne (205.160.235.---)
Date: January 03, 2006 05:12PM

Thank you for your input. It is and will be in the future a pleasure to have this forum with experienced people to turn to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster