I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mettler Poly Sheen
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 10:58AM

Every once in a while there is a flurry of postings about threads not designed for rod building. There certainly is a large color selection, thus the attraction to them.

Last year I purchased two spools of Mettler Poly Sheen and since I was doing some test wraps with other threads that would be coated with epoxy (No Color Preserver), I added some wraps of the Poly Sheen. I found the Mettler thread wrapped in a similar manner to rod thread, though I didn't incorporate any guides into my wraps. The similarity to rod thread ended there. When I applied epoxy to my wraps (actually, one continuous wrap with trim wraps embedded) the Mettler did a good job of rejecting the epoxy. I'm not sure the term fisheye would apply, but large areas repelled the epoxy causing an overall lumpy appearance. The thread sold as a rod building epoxy absorbed the epoxy in a uniform manner.

In my rod building I do not use CP to lock in the original thread colors, choosing to accept the deep luster of thread not coated with CP. So I can't comment on how well this particular sewing thread would work if treated with CP.

Jeff Shafer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mettler Poly Sheen
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 11:06AM

Read the archives, there's probably 50 posts similar to yours about MAdeira Polyneon

Date: January 02, 2006 12:16PM

Sorry for Posting

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2006 01:46PM

No problem at all with your post. But do check the archives for additional information that can help you out immediately.

I'm sure someone will add more as the day wears on.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 02:09PM

JEff, I didn't mean to dis your question, it's just that on this specific topic I know there is a lot of info in the archives, on several different posts. You'll get more by searching there, than waiting and hoping someone who has had the same issues types a response to your question.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 02, 2006 02:39PM

Billy, I don't see where Jeff asked a question.

He was just posting some information he'd found on Mettler. I sure haven't read this on Mettler and found it interesting enough...

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: January 02, 2006 02:57PM

I don't recall asking a question. Again, sorry for posting.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2006 03:22PM

No reason to apologize. Thanks for the information. I don't use those threads so when I see such posts I don't always read them very carefully.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 04:46PM

Don't mind Billy. That's just well Billy ? He yells at me too, but he's still a nice guy. LOL

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 05:02PM

Jeff, I've used Mettler PolySheen and find it to be similar to Madeira PolyNeon 40. I use CP, almost always, on everything. On the PolySheen as well as the Madeira threads I might put on as many as 3-4 coats of CP allowing it to dry completely between coats. Splotchiness can be a problem with the lighter colors, but several coats of CP seem to prevent this effect. Why not try some test wraps with CP to see how it works. Stan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2006 05:05PM by Stan Gregory.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.012.dsl.qld.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 02, 2006 09:30PM

Jeff,
Outback a builder here in OZ uses Mettler, I'm sure he will post his findings with this thread when he reads the post.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster