I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken 3pc 7wt Forecast
Posted by: Bruce TenHoeve (---.va.shawcable.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 12:20PM

So I was Coho(silver) fishing and tagged into a huge fresh chum,it proceded to go straight down and under my boat on it's third run,hence my 7wt got jammed on my gunwale,snapping it at the ferrule on the butt section,does anyone have a suggestion for my repair? I was thinking of using a sacrifice rod to replace the ferrule by epoxying it inside the butt section then wrapping over again....I'd like to add a picture of the break but not sure how here....thanks in advance...Bruce TenHoeve.....very southern B.C

p.s heres a link to the pictures
[gallery.fishbc.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2006 12:27PM by Bruce TenHoeve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken 3pc 7wt Forecast
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 01:04PM

Bruce

There is a back issue of RodMaker that has good artical on making furrels.

Also try and call the Batsons, maybe they can help ?

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 02, 2006 01:02AM

Bruce
I live in Marysville WA, about an hours drive from very southern BC. I do this type of repair quite often. Is your matching female ferrule clear or is the broken off piece of male ferrule imbedded in there? How much excess materiel beyond the face of the female ferrule was broken off? If there is about 3", thats enough to perform a structural splice and the fix is very simple. If there is no excess, the best thing to do is to find another piece of similar stock, and make a new male ferrule. Once you are sure that the new ferrule matches the female, its now a juggling act to splice the new piece onto the broken end of the butt section. You will have a minor trade off in length. You will be either a couple inches longer or shorter than the original rod, depending upon how close the taper of your new piece matches the taper of the rod. Email me if you want to do this and I can walk you through it in detail.

Ralph

Posted by: Bruce TenHoeve (---.va.shawcable.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 10:36PM

Ralph pm on the way

Always remember to take one more last cast!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster