I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides on GLoomis ??? Wrapped Wire
Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 06:49PM

I was looking at and comparing various rods at a local tackle shop and on a GLoomis baitcasting rod I saw guides that looked like a simple single wire loop with the wire then forming the feet. The sales guy could only tell me they were Titanium. They look more like a fly guide but they did form a full circle before turning down to the feet. Does any one know what they are and who makes them?
On another note I saw two rods made by a local craftman that were just elegant. Both for sale. The price on each was $80.00 and they blew the craftmanship on the Shimano rods away (terrible apoxy and wrapping at $200.00) and the cork on the GLoomis at $440.00 was like grade 3!
The locals name is Bryant Bradford. His feather artwork was georgous, his wraps flawless and apoxy just simply perfect. Its funny how after you finally build a rod how differently you look at other rods.
Anyway I sure would appreciate any info you might have on those guides.
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides on GLoomis ??? Wrapped Wire
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 31, 2005 07:13PM

They sound like Recoil guides. Scroll down to casting guides and see if these are them [www.rec.com] They are a titanium alloy wire. Do a search here and type in recoil, select ALL DATES and you will get all the pros/cons and opinions on them.

I can't imagine a custom rod for $80!! Most builders make at least $100 profit on a rod or they are really cheating themselves. I'd have to wonder on the blank/components at that price!! Seems almost to good to be true.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 07:18PM

Hi Tom,
Those are REC recoil titanium guides on the Loomis.
$80 for a nice custom rod?? What type of rods are they? Did you buy one? What is his number?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 08:20PM

Actually I'm wondering now why I didnt buy it (the one with the feather work). Im going to call tomorrow and see if they are open and if so I'll go down and take a second look. Its been in the back of my mind. The proprietor of the store was saying he Bryant Bradley not Bradford) does all his repair work for him and now I was wondering if it might have been a repair job but Im sure the person showing me the rod said it was one Bryant had built. Now Ive got to find out. I just mentioned to my wife that I had been thinking about going back and getting it.
Im looking at the card now for the store and I think I was talking to the owner Randy Bolin - Murfreesboro Outdoors- Mon-Sat (takes care of tomorrow) 9-6 (615) 896-4745 for the store and the number for Bryant Bradley is (615) 848-0776. Im back to work Monday but Ill probably get over there before the week is over and take another look.
Thanks for the feed back on the recoil guides. Im searching them now.
Tom
Woodbury TN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster