I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fiji "Soft-Touch"
Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: December 31, 2005 01:05PM

Can someone please describe for me these Fiji "Soft-Touch" type reel seats. Some kind of soft rubber coating??????????

Durability???

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fiji "Soft-Touch"
Posted by: Lu Gardner (---.sta.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 01:09PM

Correct.
personnally I'm opposed to any thing that deaden's touch. I want the maximum anount of vibration I can find.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: December 31, 2005 01:14PM

Also look at Rainshadow/Forecast textured exposed reel seets.

Like Lu said "it deaden's the touch" but with the exposed reel seat you pick up "vibrations/feel" in that area. The textured grip makes the reel more comfortable (for me).

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: December 31, 2005 01:42PM

It looks like someone fine bead blasted a standard reelseat so it feels different, they aren't "soft". I'm sure it's a different process, but that's what it looks like when you look at one. AmTack. Forecast, Fuji, maybe even Pac Bay all have their version.

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 01:59PM

I don't feel like they deaden the touch. They are still hard. They just seem to feel a little more comfortable. Maybe it's one of those self fulfilling prophecies like they talked about earlier this week, but I do think they feel a little more comfortable. I use the Batsons. They're a little cheaper but are just as nice.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 02:24PM

You guys must have stone hands worrying abotu a super thin coating of rubber "deaening your touch". I use teh Fuji seat, and have seen teh Amtak seat, side by side the Fuji is of better quality, and feels a little "softer", and "warmer", but not teh amount of $$$ over teh price of the Amtak. I still use the Fuji, but I feel if you are using teh Amtak seats now this would be a nice upgrade.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 31, 2005 08:20PM

The thing may be called a reel seat but it is also the thing you are holding in your hand when fishing. If you are lucky enough to get some fish slime on your hand and want to get your line back in the water before washing and drying your hands you will really be impressed with the stability of the textured seat in your grip.

Builders can disagree on a products features all day and night and totally overlook the benefits that the manufacturers are trying to give all of us in new product development. They may not be the old standard but they may just be better! Give them a try and then report your findings. A debunking of a product without a trial may not prove to be the best thing.

I am using the textured seats on all my rods and my customers like the looks, feel and use of them. They are truly an upgrade!

Gon Fishn

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2006 06:09PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.lndnnh.adelphia.n)
Date: January 01, 2006 03:45AM

i like the spin seat, haven't tried the others. it is pricey, but has some "bling" factor.

Posted by: Lu Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 05:47PM

There is a diference between the Fiji "Soft-Touch" reel seat and a textured seat. the I own a couple of them. It is a very thin rubber coating aplid th the surface.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 07:36PM

After ready my post, perhaps I was not clear. I highly endorse the Forecast/Rainshadow textured exposed reel seat. It is comfortable and the exposed seat allows my fingers to keep in tough with the blank. Thus allowing me sensitivity plus comfort. I have changed all my baitcasters to this brand of reel seat.

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Lu Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 06:59AM

Dan:
I have question. I have not used that reel, But a lot of times I will further sand down a seat. Especially the triger piece. ( I find them iritating between my fingers, so I thin them out alot of times). Is there a finish on the Forecast/Rainshadow textured exposed reel seat. that would start peeling if I sanded part of it down? Or is it just textured and I would only lose part of the texture by sanding?

Date: January 02, 2006 08:14AM

Lu, I havent' trid to see exactly how thick the coating is on teh seat, as much as they cost I'm not about to ruin a $15-$30 reel seat to find out. My guess would be that it would peel

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 10:34AM

If they "peel".....woill they peel with years of wear as well?

DR

Date: January 02, 2006 11:08AM

I wouldn't think so, unless you manage to rub off teh coating somewhow. THe coating is very tough.

I think it would be vry easy for each person to figure out for themselves what would happen, if they just purchased a seat and played with it themselves.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 06:37PM

Lu:

It seems to be a thin coat of "something" that is applied topically. I do not think that it would peel but under the textured part is the regular reel grip. If you sand the trigger that part would loose its texture (naturally of course) and the rest of the reel would be textured. I have a Rainshadow/forecast textured reel seat that is now two years old and it only shows very minimual wear. This is located mostly on the trigger wear my finger is on it constantly and were it bangs on things in the boat. I do not see any wear that isn't consistant with other reel seats. Looking at this seat with the wear the "texture" is applied instead of the reel made up of the same material. The textured part is apllied but it is not embeded into the reel. Hope that helps.

Maybe you could grind the trigger and then do some type of "flock" on it???

Dan Grulke

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster