I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 12:58PM

Hi to all

Is there any advantage to buying expencive rod blanks like lamaglas or g lomis.
I know cost is one factor that i dislike.
I know that too many people put to much stock into brand names and not the product it's self.
All information on this subject would be very informative
Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Blanks
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 31, 2005 01:28PM

Quality control and uniformity are generally better with more expensive rod blanks. However, if you spend good money on an inexpensive E-glass rod, it does not have to be over-priced to give you great performance.

RAINSHADOW and FORECAST make a wide variety of rod styles in E-glass or RX-(#) Graphite that are very affordable and well regarded. For $20-60 for the rod blank itself, with a Rainshadow or a Forecast rod blank, you could build almost any style of fishing rod you want.

Contact www.FISHSTICKS4U.com . They carry a full ine of BATSON Rod Blanks (Rainshadow & Forecast) AND Batson COMPONENTS. Check them out:

www.FISHSTICKS4U.com
Robert Tignor
rtignor02@comcast.net
Home Office: (804) 746-9711 ...

Happy New Year, -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 31, 2005 02:35PM

Price is not always indicative of performance or quality. Still, most of the more expensive blanks are quite good in the performance category. Most of the less expensive blanks are not quite on the same level of performance. The difference may be marked or it be slight - this oftens depends on the particular blank and what you're using it for. Longer rods in particular tend to show more difference weight, balance, response, recovery, etc., with the nod usually going to blanks that tend to cost a bit more. These differences are less noticeable in shorter or lighter duty blanks.

Quality is another matter altogether. I've seen inexpensive blanks that were of very high quality and I've seen very expensive blanks where the quality wasn't what I expected for what I paid.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 02:37PM

Hi Tim,
I agree with Cliff 100 percent. I have built on G.Loomis and Forecast blanks and have found the only difference between the two
blanks with the same specs. was that the Loomis has a slightly higher resonant frequency and dampens quicker. Not by much
though and several people I fish with could not tell any difference at all. Although I have not used a Loomis I did not like, the price
is 100 percent or more greater than the Forecast modles.
Companys like Loomis, Lamiglass, St. Croix, and Fenwick havn't been around a long time for nothing. They do make some fine
products. However, sometimes I think in some areas, they are getting to big for their britches and price is one of those areas.
I have heard a lot of good things said about some Cabellas and Shimano blanks as well but I have never built one.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Dirgo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 02, 2006 10:47PM

I build alot of rods using cabelas IM-7 blanks. They are inexpensive and perform well. As with alot of things other than just fishing rods, sometimes a small increase in performance costs a considerable amount of money. It is just a personal decision. If you can justify the price go big. Alot of people are raving about Rogue rods comparing them to G Loomis but considerably less expensive. I'll be building one soon to find out for myself. The Cabela's IM-7 light and med light blanks make great trout/panfish rods. For my crank bait and trolling rods I just use cheap fiberglass blanks. The fish basically hooks itself all I need a soft rod with a good bend to it. You can't go wrong with a big name like G Loomis etc... But often you can get by with much less. I do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster