I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10-ft 7-wt blanks
Posted by: Iwan Jones (146.203.56.---)
Date: December 30, 2005 12:25PM

I am going to start building my second rod this Winter.

I want to build a 10-ft 7-wt rod for steelhead.

I would like this blank to be either a 3 or 4-piece with a medium-fast action.

All I can find on the internet is the Dan Craft Signature V blank that meets my criteria.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10-ft 7-wt blanks
Posted by: James Mello (---.click-network.com)
Date: December 30, 2005 12:48PM

Iwan Jones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am going to start building my second rod this
> Winter.
>
> I want to build a 10-ft 7-wt rod for steelhead.
>
> I would like this blank to be either a 3 or
> 4-piece with a medium-fast action.
>
> All I can find on the internet is the Dan Craft
> Signature V blank that meets my criteria.
>
> Any other suggestions ?
>
> Thanks.

I'm assuming that this is for either summer run northwest steel, or perhaps great lakes steel?

If it's for those purposes, and you want to swing flies and such, I'd go with the Sig V....

If you plan on hitting winter steelhead in the PNW, I'd move up to an 8wt or 9wt and look at the FT line from Dan Craft...

The other option would be to look at 9'6" blanks. I believe that Lamiglas carries some of those as well as GLoomis. Spendy, but the companies have good reputations.

-- Cheers
-- James

Posted by: Iwan Jones (146.203.56.---)
Date: December 30, 2005 12:52PM

Thanks.

I will be primarily using on on the Great Lakes Tribs for high stick nymphing.

Posted by: Tim Hough (71.224.102.---)
Date: December 30, 2005 12:53PM

I built a 10ft 3 piece from Pac Bay for smallmouth fishing on the Susquehanna & for my float tube. Sweet rod that didn't break the bank.

Tight Lines,
Tim

Posted by: James Mello (---.click-network.com)
Date: December 30, 2005 01:18PM

Iwan Jones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks.
>
> I will be primarily using on on the Great Lakes
> Tribs for high stick nymphing.

Ahhh... Sig V is a bad choice for this. The advice from Dan himself is to use the Sig V for swinging flies, and not high stick nymphing. With that, isn't there a 10' 7wt in the FT series? I'd give Dan a call and see if he doesn't have one of those.

-- Cheers
-- James

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: December 30, 2005 02:03PM

Dan's FT series is a good choice. I have 3 FT's, 10ft 10wt, 9ft 5wt and a 10ft 3wt, all are great rods with plenty of power. All are 4 peice. You can download the Dan Craft catalog on his web site.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2005 02:04PM by Bob Crook.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sea.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 04:54PM

Iwan,

I've had both the 10 ft 7 wt Sig. V (3 pc) and the 9 ft 7 wt (4 pc) FT. Both for steelhead.

I prefer the FT.

But then I don't do any high sticking....

Both are delicious.

Give Dan a call......He's the best.

And the blanks are too...

Keith

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tx-dallas0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 08:02PM

The Rainshadow RX7 blank would work for high stick nymphing. Hook & Hackle and others have them.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 02:34AM

St. Croix SCIV 9'9" 7wt pre-IPC was a great blank for that...so are the Rainshadow 10'6" models... I am a huge Dan Craft fan but would not recommend either the FT or the V for that type of fishing....V is a little too delicate and the FT's tip is too heavy IMHO.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: wayne chubb (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 11:22AM

Iwan,

I used my new 10' 7 wt FT that I built as a switch rod for steelies on the Trinity this past fall. We had to go to 4x tippets, and the rod was soft enough in the tip to handle that light a leader and still land fish up to 7-8 pounds. I was looking forward to the opener on the American here in Sacto tomorrow to test it on larger fish with heavier leaders, but it's currently flowing at 20X it's normal Jan 1 flows, the wind is howling, and rain is pouring...

Good luck - I doubt you'll be unhappy with the FT.

Wayne

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster