I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCS info
Posted by: Lu Gardner (---.sta.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 08:08AM

I was wandering if any one has tried this system for working with spiining and bait casting for bass fishing rods,one piece?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCS info
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 08:52AM

Lu,
The CC System was developed by Bill Hanneman primarily with fly rods in mind but it works equally well for any blank. I use it all of the time for casting and spinning rods.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2005 03:10PM

Because most casting and spinning blanks are rated by the manufacturer for both relative power and casting lure weight range, it is not so often used for these type blanks. Fly blanks have no power rating and their line weight rating is purely subjective and is not dependent on any sort of relative standard. Thus the CCS is more often helpful with those type blanks and rods.

However, the ability to make relative power and action ratings can be helpful in a wide variety of applications. I'm sure you will find many uses for it.

Posted by: Mark Gibson (---.cpinternet.com)
Date: December 31, 2005 02:24AM

Lu,

I’ve made a number of load/deflection measurements on bass casting and spinning blanks/rods and the one thing I would caution you on is that the higher deflections used in the CCS system can cause a little bit of compression in the results for blanks such as bass casting and spinning rods/blanks. It's most likely due to the faster tapers on casting spinning rods vs fly. This has been hashed over a bit here in the past and on another board so I won’t bore you with the details, but when the defections (of the working length) exceed something in the range of 35%, some casting blanks enter into a non-linear region. This is due to the blank entering into it's shut off point. The handles on two-handed rods will also exaggerate this effect. The tendency is that you'll get fairly high (70+) degree Action Angles on many rods, and esp. on built rods so it becomes more difficult to differentiate actions. There are some simple work arounds, but in any case, the basic principle of measuring the fundamental power and tip angle at some deflection is a very good idea.

Here's a link to a couple of graphs that shows the effect when the tip angle starts to roll off and the rod starts to go no-linear above 30% deflection:

[www.cptelecom.net]

[www.cptelecom.net]

The manufactures do rate their rods, but as it turns out, there's a lot of variation in the ratings....both power and action. St. Croix tends to underrate the power on many of their fast action rods... compared to Loomis for example. On top of that, a med-moderate Croix is a quite a different power than the med-fast. Then turn to some of the Rogues and find that they overrate the powers in comparison to many others. Anyway, you can easily see that as a builder you'd benefit from understanding these things.

mark

Posted by: Bill Hanneman (---.itexas.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 10:28PM

Mark,

Very nice work. As you noted the AA values (by definition) cannot exceed 90 degrees. I have essentially classified any values above 66 as fast and sort of let it go at that. I recently encountered a new fly rod which, if enough power was incorporated, could be bent so as the tip would meet the butt. Its AA was determined to be 65. There are many spinning type rods which will give angular readings very close to 90 (even greater and approaching 180 if one tilts the rod vertically).

For this reason, in my forthcoming article on characterizing fast action fly rods, I introduced a new measurement I called PR or Power Reservoir. This is used to measure the relative strengths of rod butts. It is basically a simple measure of the rod's stiffness, strength, or power. It is determined in the typical CCS manner, except the rod is deflected downward a distance equivalent to one half of the rod's length. The measurement is made in common cents and that value converted to equivalent ERN values by the Rosetta Stone conversion table. Since the AA values are so closely approaching 90, there is insufficent precesion to make an AA measurement useful, so it is simply ignored and the PR value recorded.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster