I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip Top
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 01:06AM

I have a question about guide spacing. I am going to be working with static distribution with my project at hand, however, with spacing charts, I never new quite new how to start the first guide. They say to measure from the tip. Ok, is that from the top of the tip top ring, from the tip top tube, or from the rod blank tip. This has always puzzeled me. Thanks for any answers. Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip Top
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 01:29AM

Measure from the tip of ring

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: December 30, 2005 01:32AM

I just set the rod's tip top against a flat, immobile object and also set the tape measure up against it if that helps explain, Tom.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 30, 2005 01:45AM

Tom Nair - In my parlance, the distance from the tip-top is from the RING of the tip-top or from the rod blank's tip; but NOT from the mouth of the tip-top's tube.

In practice, the tip-top's RING position and the end of the ROD-TIP will be nearly co-incidental. IMO - For all practical purposes, the ring position and the rod-tip can be considered to be IDENTICAL.

Some tip-top TUBES can be as long as 2 inches on big saltwater tip-tops. So, for you, now is a good time to adopt this important distinction, and to stick with this definition: The distance is "from the tip-top's RING" (or from the rod-tip, if the tip-top has not been mounted yet), and NOT from the tube's mouth. On teeny tip-tops, the tube may only be ~ 1 centimeter long, and this distinction would have a less pronounced effect.

Other's parlance may vary, ... -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL

Posted by: Leon Mack (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2005 01:46AM

Hey Tom: Good question. I've always measured from the tip top ring. It might be interesting to hear from the others. The way I do static placement is tie a piece of twine to the tip top then run fishing line through the eye and tie a small weight to the fishing line. I tie on a heavy weight to the twine; enough to put a good stress to the blank. I place the rod into a piece of PVC stuck into a drawer. The pipe is at an angle about 60 degrees. I tape the fishing line so that it runs from the handle up through the tip top then I flex the top quarter of the blank and place the first guide using tape or surgical tubing. Of course first I had to feed the guide up through the fishing line. Then I un tape the fishing line and feed the second guide, re-tape the fishing line, and place the second guide. Then I arrange the heavy weight and flex point of the blank so that half of the blank is under stress and place a couple more guides. After doing this for the last section of blank the guides are usually pretty-much right on. Next I untie the twine and attach the reel I will be using with this rod. I feed line up through all of the guides and pull on the line as I hold the handle in my other hand. This way I can move the whole thing around and look at the stress points and line arc from different lighting perspectives. Sometimes I make minor adjustments to the guides after looking at it from this angle. Maybe some of this will be of use. Any suggestions anyone might have to improve my method would be welcome.

Leon

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 30, 2005 09:56AM

I have gotten the impression that measurements for guide placement are from the center of the ring/snake guide. Wouldn't this also hold true for the placement of the first guide from the tip top?

From any of the points Tom mentioned in his original post, would being off a 1/4" in either direction really make that much difference?

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: December 30, 2005 12:23PM

In light of some of the recent threads re: guide spacing, etc., Ralph's last question is "right on"!

Bilgee

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: December 30, 2005 01:27PM

I don't think being off 1/4" is the problem. What you do want is for the rod to look symetrical so to speak. You don't want the space between the tip ring & #1 guide ring to be 5" and the space between the #1& #2 guide rings to be 4". Equal spacing or progressive spacing...measure from the ring of all the guides.

Your eyes see the rings and the wraps...not the tip top tube.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster