I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

gray Scotchbrite
Posted by: Patrick Heintz (---.aurorahealthcare.org)
Date: December 29, 2005 03:12PM

My question...is all the gray Scotchbrite more or less the same...finer than the usual green stuff sold to scour pots and pans? After reading the article about "water break free" surfaces, I headed off to my local Home Depot and what they had was a 3M product that had "Scotchbrite" written on the pads, not the packaging, and came in green and gray. The product no. on the package of the gray pads was not either of those mentioned in the article. I believe the gray stuff was described as finer than the green. Thats the right stuff, isn't it? In other words, is there a gray-colored product I wouldn't want to use on blanks and seats prior to epoxying? I haven't ventured to the auto-supply stores yet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gray Scotchbrite
Posted by: paul reyburn (---.cnclrk01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2005 04:05PM

i have, Grey and Red the Grey is course and the red is fine..i have used both with no problems

Posted by: Will Whitaker (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 29, 2005 04:15PM

Go to a good hardware store. Not Home deopt or Lowes. A good hardware store will have a few different ones for you to chose from.

Posted by: Lou Perez (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2005 04:54PM

I've started using OOOO steel wool in place of scotchbrite and have been getting good results. It's also much easier to find locally.

Lou

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 29, 2005 05:42PM

Most dealers in automotive finishing products (paints, paint guns, etc) will have the gray Scotchbrite. Locally, our Praxair dealer has the PPG line of paints and all of the Scotchbrite materials on hand.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: paul reyburn (---.cnclrk01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2005 07:20PM

Scotch Brite 7446 (Dark Gray) Coarse Grit.
SKU#: 7446

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scotch Brite 7447B (Maroon) Medium Grit
SKU#: 7447B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scotch Brite 7448B (Grey) Ultra Fine
SKU#: 7448B

Scotch Brite 97 (Green) Medium Grit
SKU#: 97

Posted by: Mark Gibson (---.cpinternet.com)
Date: December 29, 2005 10:27PM

Patrick,

Last time I counted there were over 38 types of Scotch-Brite hand pads. I think there were 8 gray and the typical green pad tends to be quite a bit more aggressive than the grays.

7448 ultra fine gray is equivalent to 000 steel wool. 7446 fine gray is equivalent to steel wool grade 2. Some of the green pads can cut more in the range of a 300 grit. There is also a 7745 gold pad that is equivalent to 0000 steel wool.

mark

Posted by: joe arvay (---.an4.ind20.da.uu.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 08:52AM

In some auto parts stores (PepBoys), there exists a gray pad that has no number that I can find, it is simply called "Synthetic Steel Wool". Works nice for the break-free finish on Sensor Tube handles.

This one comes in a plastic bag with a yellow label and 3M logo on it. I'm guessing it would be 7448 if they cared to put it on there, It "replaces '000' Steel Wool" according to the label. Easy to miss if you're looking for the typical Scotch Brite pads in the little cardboard thingy that's so common at hardware stores.

I wouldn't complain if 3M took effort to standardize some of these descriptions, or at least put the number on everything. Kinda ambiguous at times.

Posted by: Mark Gibson (---.cpinternet.com)
Date: December 31, 2005 01:44AM

Joe,

I agree it can be frustrating and you'd like to know what you've got. Typically the stuff for the consumer market gets packaged and well labeled. What tends to happen is that when some converters get hold material that they'll repackage in bulk, some of the original identification is left out.

mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster