I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Basswood as a Cork Alternative
Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 10:46PM

Just posted some photos of a basswood fly handle with afzelia reel seat, which is being built for an old friend. I know this will not be acceptable to "hardcore" fly traditionalists, but I wanted to see what visual effect might be obtained from basswood cut & glued-up cross-grained. Basswood as you know, has no visually redeeming features when cut along the grain. I suspect it has a place for handle construction. Various effects are probably possible, depending on grain orientation, etc.

I look forward to your thoughts & criticism. Stan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2005 12:42AM by Stan Gregory.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Basswood as a Cork Alternative
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 27, 2005 10:58PM

Stan,

Very good looking handle set-up. Now for the tough question: You said you used an azelia burl for the reel seat, Is that the ornamental shrub that my Mom has planted on either side of the front steps? Gives a good contrast to the Basswood rings.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 27, 2005 10:59PM

I've seen this done in wood turning for other objects - it's called "segmented wood turning" and is often used on "plain jane" wood pieces but which have good contrast when used in conjunction with other wood pieces of a different color or shade. In fact, one builder wrote an article on segmented turning which I haven't gotten around to running in the magazine just yet. Rosewood or bubinga coupled with a lighter wood such as basswood reallly makes a stunning piece.

Because it's somewhat unusual and not often seen, I think you'll find a very receptive market for it. Don't stop here - you can alternate those basswood rings with rings of darker walnut or similar, if you want something even more non-traditional.

Date: December 27, 2005 11:16PM

Bill, your Mom's shrubs are most likely Abelia shrubs. The Afzelia burl apparently comes from an African tree. I got it from Andy at last years Charlotte Show.

Tom, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll keep trying out things along what you mentioned - and probably just drive my wife crazy with all the sawdust being tracked in. Stan

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 27, 2005 11:21PM

Could be Stan, but she calls them azelia's. But she's known to be mistaken on plant names.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2005 12:02AM

My Mom calls them Iselias!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2005 12:07AM

Who cares about tradition! Stan that is a sweet grip! If I were to order one I would prefer the reel seat insert to match the grip but
that is just me. Many others like the contrasting wood.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: December 28, 2005 12:13AM

Woops, I mis-spelled Afzelia in the first post. Stan

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.45.132.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: December 28, 2005 02:32AM

I don't know, but if the plant grows well around the pacific Northwest, I think it is called an Azalea, which I think is related to Rhoddendrons.

I'll look at Stan's grip now since I am looking for a cork subsitute too.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2005 04:37AM

Great looking handle and reel seat.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: December 28, 2005 05:35AM

Very nice handle Stan! Simplicity can be beautiful and I think this a perfect example of that. I especially like the effect of the lighter and darker blotchy "Lego" texture. When you look at the thumbnail it almost looks as if it is a really low resolution picture that you need to look from a distance. And then you get the impression of light reflected to the handle from a wavy water surface - a sort of glimmery effect which you could imagine alternating in a rythm of the waves (Yes, I do have a fishtank ;) ). A true piece of art and the best looking handle along Antti's bark handle for a long time IMO. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2005 05:37AM by Mikko Stenberg.

Posted by: Steve Smotherman (---.fuse.net)
Date: December 28, 2005 06:29AM

Stan I carve fish out of wood when im not building rods I use tupelo its lighter in weight than basswood and has none of the fuzz basswood has it grows in the swamps down south if you need a supplier email me and ill hook you up.

Steve

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2005 02:57PM

I would also mention that if you use a hole saw on wood planks or boards, your outside grip surface will be "end grain" and won't be as smooth as if you had the rings sawn with the grain instead of against it. So, you can turn a cylinder of the wood you want on the lathe and then part off individual rings and stack them that way. This puts the grain in line with your grip and usually makes for a smoother surface.

Basswood is very tightly grained and so it wouldn't be much of a problem either way. Nice job. The grip looks great.

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2005 05:36PM

Looks great Stan. I would have never thought of it.
I often mix light woods with dark woods for inlays, but this is something entirely different. Beautiful.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 28, 2005 06:27PM

Very interesting concept. I think it looks very sharp.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster