I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The Reel Santa Clause
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 26, 2005 04:07PM

Its the holiday season, most will/have enjoyed (to a point) being with family and freinds, the exchange of gifts (maybe), or maybe just get caught up in all the hooplah, and just happen to decide....I need a gift from the Reel Santa Clause.

What did you get yourself? Tools? Thread? Finish? Blanks? Books? Etc...

My internal "Reel Santa Clause" decided to be "another day older and deeper in debt" by getting myself a GSH90 1MT, a bunch of Alconite fly guides,, and a six pack of various sized NPS reel seats.......I'm sure some of you may be guilty of some sort of "something for me" infraction..............what did you get? If you performed some great manipulation in order to "get more stuff" lets here it.

Franta

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Reel Santa Clause
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 26, 2005 04:18PM

"My Dad" bought my a Guy Cotton Pullover, the new one which is waterproof & fleece lined. I also bought myself a 5-layer Ocean Eagle hooded sweatshirt, which will allow my to reserve my LEather jacket for 10 degree days. Besides that it was all work clothes, and 2 pots to cook with. Yippee.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: December 26, 2005 04:21PM

Dear Reel Santa,
I bought myself a 12 gal. Craftsman shop VAC and rigged it up for a dust collection system for turning cork and EVA grips. With my old small shop vac there was so much cork dust flying around it was getting in my beer.

Works reel well Santa, my beer is no longer gritty.

Buzz

Date: December 26, 2005 04:32PM

Great pucrhase Buzz...dust is no good and I should've done the same. ...Turn it "off " if you have a beer on the table and your turning burnt cork, adds a smokey bouquet thats very unhealthy due to particle size and OSHA Standards, yet a somewhat pleasant. flavour...lol

Franta

Posted by: Al Ciner (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2005 04:35PM

Three rod blanks, guides for all and handle kits for all. Haven't gotten brave enough to try turning my own handles yet. Also a copy of CRTA.

Al

Date: December 26, 2005 05:02PM

CRTA is a "staple" for those into any form of thread art...hopefully it becomes your coffee stained, coffee table book, like it is for me.

Franta

Date: December 26, 2005 05:05PM

Warm is good when your fishing and freezing.

Franta

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 26, 2005 06:17PM

Loose interpretationof fishing. I actually just stodd out tehre all day like an idiot not catchign anything, lol.

How did you "rig up" the Vac? I've been usign mine for 4 years, and I find it collects teh most dust when I hold it in my hand, clamp the sandpaper with my thumb righ tnear teh vaccum nozzle, and the grit goes right into teh cleaner. When I had it set up behind the lathe, I didn't catch nearly enough grit, and when I got close to teh lathe headstock, teh dust always got sucked towards teh chuck and throne everywhere. This still happens when I hold teh vacuum, but it still does catch most of it as it flies off teh chuck.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2005 06:19PM

My Reel Santa Clause is my wife who was looking through my "saved email" folders and saw an email I sent to one of Santa's
helpers by the name of Billy Vivona and on Christmas Eve she gave me $ and told me to get the Visual Wrap software I have so
desperately wanted for months now.

Merry Christmas Honey! and Thank You too Billy!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 26, 2005 06:20PM

Among other things, a 2 gal Air compressor and Donjer flocking gun (I'm now ready for Bill Steven's seminar at Charlotte!) A vaiable speed Dremel (Craftsman) and a flexibe shaft attachment, and a Millscraft stand for my other Dremel!
2006 looks like it will be a GREAT year!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: December 26, 2005 06:56PM

Pflueger Trion 1956 and a spare spool. What a great fly reel!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: December 26, 2005 07:30PM

I filled my pickup, cried, and said that's it!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2005 10:48PM

Sattelite radio for the ride to Charlotte and to listen to offshore.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 26, 2005 10:58PM

My wife got a new Honda, but I decided to hold off 'til the last weekend in February - and call those purchases from the Reel Santa Claus. Stan

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 12:00AM

Two years ago on Cape Cod I left my favorite Northface Summit waterproof Jacket on top of my 4X4 while heading off to the beach to fish a night high tide with a buddy. He noticed something fly off the roof and, in the few minutes it took me to realize it was my jacket and return to collect it, someone beat me to it. I found a new one of the now discontinued jackets on @#$%& and it should be arriving any day. My other gifts will include a new Rolling Carriage and Motor Bracket for my trusty Clemens Lathe. These Renzetti parts will complete my restoration of the Clemens.

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.hdyn.saunalahti.fi)
Date: December 27, 2005 05:46AM

Nice topic! :D Especially since the "Reel Santa Clause" or should I say Father Christmass comes from a fell called Korvatunturi located in Finland. ;) Check it out:

[christmas.whipnet.net]

Anyways I guess I've been a good boy this year - Santa brought me a CPW power wrapper with a 4rpm dryer and a tail stock! :D How did Santa know that I wanted that? Well he is the Man! :D

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 05:52AM

[www.santaclauslive.com]

Sorry to say, I have been there...but it was in the summer and there are a ton of good fishing areas nearby!

If any of you get the chance to go to Northern Finland (Lapland), I highly recommend it...bring along a few pack rods too :) I brought only two and that was not nearly enough!

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2005 05:53AM by Scott Kinney.

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: December 27, 2005 03:02PM

Scott Kinney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> If any of you get the chance to go to Northern
> Finland (Lapland), I highly recommend it...bring
> along a few pack rods too I brought only two and
> that was not nearly enough!

... and plenty of midge repellent! LOL

Nice to know that you've been to Finland Scott!

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 07:04PM

Been there a couple of times and lived in Turku 1998-1999...beautiful country and great, hospitable people (albeit a bit shy!).

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster