I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Underwrap on light rod
Posted by: Felix Sawicki (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2002 08:41PM

I'm embarrased to ask this question because both Kirkman's and Clemen's books seem so clear on this issue. Both books seem to indicate that light to medium weight rods with single foot guides don't need to be and shouldn't be underwrapped.

On the other hand, I've talked to 5 different people on the west coast of Florida who make or repair rods for a living. All of these people have told me that I need to underwrap even on a light spinning rod.

My inclination is to not underwrap but I have a lot of respect for these people who have told me the opposite.

I have put off wrapping the guides on my first rod for about two weeks because because I can't make up my mind on this subject.

Can someone help me get off dead center?

Thanks,

Felix

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Underwrap on light rod
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 08, 2002 10:24PM

I have built a lot of rods. Mostly saltwater and I almost never underwrap any but the heavy IGFA rods. What reason did they give you for underwrapping? Is that just what they've always done? Do they have some technical reason? I doubt it, really.

If your guide feet have been properly shaped and polished, there is really no need to underwrap the rod. If you find out from these guys something the rest of us don't know I'd love to know about it.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 08, 2002 10:32PM

I see no need to underwrap it either, but you know if you feel better doing it then go ahead. It reallly won't hurt anything other than adding just a tad of weight. Overall rod performance might drop off some, but I doubt it will be enough to really harm anything. Do whatever gives you peace of mind.

Posted by: Marv Schroeder (---.ss.shawcable.net)
Date: May 08, 2002 11:26PM

I agree with everyone here. In my experience, I have never really needed to underwrap anything but the Loomis GLX series.

As stated, if you take your time and properly prepare the guide feet, you shouldn't have any problems.

Marv Schroeder

Posted by: Ed Sinn (mrsinbad) (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 08, 2002 11:27PM

Felix,

I'm not sure the mindset of the folks you were talking with and I'm sure they speak from experience, but I have dealt with one tackle shop that builds a lot of custom rods and their mindset is that they would rather build a Mack truck and not have any problems with it than build a Lexus. They also don't sell any light/medium spinning rods and kind of frowns upon them. Kind of "one size fits all" mentality.

Judge what you read and hear and see if it will work in your situation. Goodluck.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 09, 2002 01:08AM

Felix,

I think you'd NOT want to underwrap on ANY rod unless there was a clear structural or cosmetic reason for doing so.

Weight is an very important factor in how a rod performs, and as far as I can tell, from every reliable source I've found, lighter is ALWAYS better.

For the life of me, I can't see ANY physical reason to underwrap a guide on a spinning rod, regardless of how long/heavy it may be.

Like everyone said, if you prep the guide feet properly so they don't 'damage' the blank itself, where is the need for an underwrap? Ask yourself what purpose does it perform. Does it 'help'? If you can think of how it does, please let me know. Does it hurt? Demonstrably, yes, it will.

Seems pretty clear cut to me, but I only build rods for bass and fly fishing, and I don't use lines over fifty pound test or weights over a couple of ounces.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Jeff Stickle (---.nv.nv.cox.net)
Date: May 09, 2002 07:10AM

Underwraps have taken a beating here in the past but I like them. Sure IF you prep your guides right you are unlikely to have a problem but miss a burr and you MIGHT have one.
I like them because they provide a bed to put the guide on that prevents it from touching the blank. I carefully prep my guides too but I like the cushion the underwrap provides. I have built a lot of rods this way and it is said it will change the performance of the blank slightly but I have never been able to see any diference.
The downside is they take a lot more calculation and time to do to get them just right.
They are also a feature you won't see on store bought rods. Is that because the manufacturers so carefully prep their guides they won't ever scratch the blank or because it they are labor intensive?
They are another way to set your custom rod apart from the crowd. They can also provide for some interesting color designs.
You have to consider the time as a cost factor. Are you building a batch of low end rods or the Roll Royce of rods?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: May 09, 2002 08:45AM

Underwraps will always harm rod performance, to some degree. How much really depends on how long you make them. On most rods, they are simply not necessary and provide nothing more than an extra cosmetic touch.

But if you are careful not to go overboard with them, they won't cause you any undue problems. I have a good friend, Buddy Owens, who underwraps all his rods, even fly rods. They look nice and perform well. I know other guys who don't ever underwrap anything, even the big trolling stuff. Their rods hold up and work just fine.

So are they necessary? Not at all. Will they ruin your rod? Certainly not, but you can lose a bit on the performance end if you are not careful.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2002 11:32AM

A couple of points to remember about Florida,there are a number of shops that turn out what for want of a better term mini mass produced rods.
These rods are sold as custom by a majority of the local shops as "Custom" The biggest selling points to these rods are "Yes they are all spined" 2-"Yes all these rods are underwrapped" and they appear quite attractive to the customers. these rods are generally the top end rods sold and as such the customers all receive the same information about what is a good custom rod, often from individuals who know next to nothing about what they are selling.
It has become difficult when dealing with many of these people who have received this info, most feel if you tell them that a rod don't need to be underwrapped that you are pushing inferior rods, everyone knows good custom rods are always underwrapped. Many builders instead of fighting the trend just ask now what color do you want for an underwrap.
As has been mentioned unless dealing with light blanks there is only slightly reduced performance in many cases with heavier rods completley unnoticable.
to answer your question No underwraps are not necessary if the guide foot is prepared correctly and unless you want to buck the trend the underwraps are ok to use.I always try to educate a customer but often find myself doing unnecessary wraps.
John

Posted by: Felix Sawicki (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2002 06:16PM

I wanted to thank everyone both pro and con who took the time and trouble to share their opinions with me.

I'm planning on doing this first one without an underwrap. I think I'll experiment on some scrap blanks with underwraps to understand the differences.

Again, I'm very appreciative as I've been agonizing about this for quite some time.

Felix

Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2002 06:57PM

Felix, these people you speak of are they Florida Crackers? If so I know many of those people. I grew up watching these old salts building heavy fiberglass and Bamboo rods using Foul Proof and Trumpet guides and underapping them. Their wraps would extent about a 1/2" past the ends of the feet. This is the way they have been built for years and they see no reason to change. I tell them to get a computer and they have all the information they need to make a much better fishing tool, They just look at me and shake their head. I think next time I visit them I will give them a Rodmaker magazine. I'm building a Grouper rod right now for an old Cracker, guess what ? he wants it underwrapped.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster