I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Yet another lathe question
Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: December 24, 2005 06:13PM

I am going to purchase a lathe in the very near future. I would like some opinions on the advantages of having a variable speed lathe over a 5 or 6 speed lathe (other than having to moving the belt on the pullys to change speed). Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yet another lathe question
Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 24, 2005 07:15PM

The electronic variable speed is just very nice. You can start slowly and then ramp up the speed once you see that everything is in place and not out of balance and stuff. With the step pulleys when you turn the lathe on you get instant speed and if the piece is not balanced or you didn't chuck it up right it can fling it across the room. Not that such a thing happens often but it can.

I think the extra money for the variable speed is well worth the investment. It's just nice to have.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 24, 2005 08:02PM

Scott,
I just purchased the Jet 1236 after doing a bit of research and bugging (numerous times) Andy (Dear). I got it from Amazon because they had free shipping and it was the lowest price I could find. I looked at the smaller Jet but after figuring the price of the lathe and the additional prices of an extension bed and stand, I felt the 1236 was a better bargain in the long run since it came with everything inclusive. And, it has a larger motor (1/2hp to 3/4hp). But, the machine is big and HEAVY so if you don't have the room a smaller lathe might be the one to look at. Can't comment on how it works yet as I've only fired it up a couple of times, haven't started really using it. Contact Andy Dear at Lamar as he is the lathe guru, he helped me out a lot. Randy.

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2005 02:06AM

Second the motion. I just ordered me a lathe. Andy Dear is the answer and I can't saw enough about his video. He has some other supplies that might be helpful.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 25, 2005 03:42AM

I bought a Jet 1014 without the variable speed option. It's a great machine. The variable speed option is not continuous across the board, but works within the range of different belt settings. No doubt it is a nice feature but on a tight budget the extra hundred covers some of the additional parts needed. I notice Amazon is running a special on the Delta Midi Lathe (not variable speed) for $215.- with free shipping. I hear that the Delta is comparable to the Jet...but have no first hand knowledge of that. Andy Dear's instructional DVD is awesome; as is he. I'm looking forward to his Seminar in Charlotte.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 25, 2005 09:21AM

I would definetely go with the varialbe speed. The ability to adjust speed on the fly is great.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: December 26, 2005 12:32AM

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't used a lathe in many moons (8th grade). I got Andy's video last week, and it helped re-educate me quite a bit. I had my choices narrowed down to a Jet 1014 or 1014VS. It looks like the VS it will be. Also I have not been able to locate the 4 jaw chuck that was used in Andy's DVD. Could someone point me in the right direction? hope to make it to the show too!

Thanks again,
Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster