I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any upsweep on a vintage Cardinal reel?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 09:21AM

I'm thinking about getting a vintage Cardinal 3 or 4 for Steelhead fishing. Does the spool have the traditional 4 degree upsweep, something less, or none at all? I struggle enough with the New Guide Concept and don't want to compound it with a parallel spool configuration. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any upsweep on a vintage Cardinal reel?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 10:41AM

They have the same configuration as the existing Penn 4300 and 4400 SS SpinFishers. Which in my opinion are superior products, and you can get parts for them. The bail return spings on the Cardinals are a problem, lose one of those and you maight as well decorate the wall with it. The reels smooth reels of today are such a superior product, I wouldn't bother with one. I wore out 4 of the Cardinals and wouldn't look back for a second.

Posted by: Steve Satterfield (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2005 12:53PM

I use Cardinal 4's now for 28 years and wouldn't change. If you look you can find good to great reels. There are better
new reels out there but they just fit my needs when I'm fishing jigs and floats for steelhead.
Steve

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2005 01:47PM

You would have a hard time finding a better gear set in any modern reel than that found in the old ABu Cardinals and Quick Finessas and Champions. Only problem, is that those older reels don't offer the modern silent anti-reverse systems and lightweight skirted spools. Still, they're going to outlast anything on the market today.

I don't have one of those reels so can't give you a definite answer on the upsweep. If Spencer has compared them then you might as well go with his findings. You can probably locate those Penn reels at a local dealer and measure them yourself.

Posted by: David Wyatt (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 07:19PM

I don't know what your price range is for a reel of the cardinal 4 type but the Mitchel 300 X is very similar , cheap and will probably outlast several cardinals.For the money it's a very good reel. The problem with the bail spring on the cardinal is very real. I've owned a couple and they always ended up with a weak or broken bail spring.

Dave

Posted by: J. Scott Mumford (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 10:20PM

New Accurate Twin-Spin 30!

Finally! After months of waiting the new Accurate Twin-Spin

[www.charkbait.com]

$899.99 for a spinning reel ???

Now this is a spinning reel. It will handle any steelhead that the ocean has ever produced or will ever produce.

Scott

Posted by: Steve Satterfield (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 24, 2005 06:09PM

There is a place that sells reproduction Cardinal 4's and they have the silent anti reverse bearing.
With a little searching a oneway bearing should be out there.
Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster