I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Balsa Wood Revisited
Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 11:42PM

Bill Steven's post reminded me of something I experienced today. A couple days ago, I posted a query about balsawood & firming it up using Min Wax High Performance Wood Hardener. The idea was to build a very light fly rod handle. Balsa rings were cut with a hole saw & drill press.

I used the technique sited in the original post for firming up the rings and am sure they were thoroughly dried out (air dried, toaster oven on low & microwave oven were used to assure they and the "control" rings were dry).

Glued up the rings on a well-waxed 3/8" mandrel using TiteBond III and left it in the clamp for over an hour. My wife had recently baked some cornbread muffins and the oven was still warm (150 degrees F) so the glued-up grip was placed into the oven for about 30 minutes. Today, I turned the material down into nice full wells handle and was feeling good, until I tried to get the grip off the mandrel. It wouldn't come off. I even tried to press it off - wouldn't bulge. Ended up having to cut it off the mandrel and found it extremely bonded to the steel despite a decent application of paraffin.

I think the time in the oven might have had something to do with the failure, but am not sure. Think I just got in a hurry! Stan

Addendum: For what it's worth for comparing weights , the balsawood weights were taken of 10 untreated balsawood rings and 10 rings treated with the techinque indicated in the 1st post. The rings were weighed (dry weight for both groups) on an analytical balance scale. Balsawood rings treated by the metnod outlined were observed to have undergone a 64.3% weight increase (averaged untreated ring weighed 0.84 grains & averaged treated ring weighted 1.38 grains). Sample size was 10 rings in each of the two groups. Stan

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2005 12:09AM by Stan Gregory.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Balsa Wood Revisited
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.186.63.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 11:58PM

I always use a threaded rod and wing nuts to tighten the rings. I wonder if it would have come off with one loosened and the other tightened up ??
maybe to much glue ??

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2005 12:15AM

I would say that the oven temp. melted off the wax and allowed the glue to bond to the mandrel.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 12:22AM

William, that's what I think . The oven temp was the most likely curprit since the mandrel was well waxed multiple times. Think I just got in a hurry to get results & ended up wasting time & material. Stan

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2005 02:48AM

Well Stan, momma always said: Haste makes waste!! But I understand wanting to get a rod done.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Lu Gardner (---.sta.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 09:12AM

I think the oven melted the wax and the glue enough for it to bond to the mandrel .
once the wax was soft. the chemicals in the glue probably dissolved the wax enough to bond to the mandrel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster