I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Dumb and Dumber!
Posted by: Anonymous User (211.27.179.---)
Date: December 22, 2005 05:59AM

Bill you forgot to give us the answer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 07:06AM

Is it the arbor on the exposed reel seat???

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.20.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 07:09AM

let's all email him LOL

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2005 09:04AM

Every one of the answers from everyone are true and have happened to me before! The real error and one that is very difficult to fix has been causing me pain for over two years. In the past week or so I have communicated with Ralph O'Quinn and Tom Kirkman on another matter and they both knew what I did wrong instantly. I was kind mad because after all the time I have spent doing things wrong I would have never known that there are certain basics that if violated will cause a lot of undue stress.

When I initially used the denatured alcohol and literally submerged the cork piece in the stuff trying to get all the excess Rod Bond off during the initial cleaning I was creating an animal that would come back and bite me. The porus cork, Rod Bond, alcohol mixture was driven deeply into the pores of the cork and it did not set or evaporate. When I came back over the top of this goop with the mineral spirits based True Oil I made a paste like mess on the surface of the cork that will not dry in weeks! That tacky feeling on cork is caused by something done with cleaning, sealers, coatings, adhesives.

The Legends Rule - don't put solvents on cork!!

Thanks Ralph and Tom for this Christmas Present!

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2005 09:05AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.20.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 09:23AM

literally submerged the cork . i did not know you did this. Think you said you washed off the adhesive.
I will wash off cork with alcohole then run a dryer over it. But just the outside.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.169.---)
Date: December 22, 2005 09:30AM

That @#$%&, I think the fishing trip would have been much more fun :)

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 10:17AM

Thought you were going to say you forgot to put the "BAD TO THE BONE" on the rod. Just got in my 2nd hundred of the pins, he is not making the "MINI" pins at the present. Jesse

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dybb.com)
Date: December 22, 2005 12:17PM

I have in the past used an alcohol dampened paper towel to remove the excess FC epoxy after I epoxy the rings together.

Is this a mistake still if one doesn't use tru-oil on the cork? I usually do the paper towel step while the handle is still on the threaded rod. After a day or so on the rod I remove it and then epoxy onto the blank... Guess my question then is... is there still an inherant problem with using the alcohol on the rings to remove the excess epoxy without the tru-oil??? Maybe I have been lucky and have just skated below the radar so far... please let me know. Might have to change my ways?!
Chuck Ungs

Date: December 22, 2005 12:49PM

I am hoping Ralph or Tom will read down this far on this thread and give us their opinion. The epoxies like Rod Bond used to stick rings together do not contain a solvent. If you are going to do furthur work with the cork surface of any kind there may be interferances caused that can cause problems. I have stopped immediate clean up of surfaces I put together with two part epoxies with solvents. I am taking a lot of care with just clean paper towels to remove excess. If you are doing rings it may be best to eliminate the solvent contact for cleanup of excess epoxy. I dunno - but maybe best would be to simply wipe off, let dry and turn n sand for final cleanup.

A major production rod company has a rash of reel seat failures on exposed blank seats. I cut a few apart and noted that the fit up was not real close on the failed rods and that there was a sticky mess in the joint area. I will bet they cleaned the seat windows with a solvent at time of installation.

I do know that Ralph will use harsh words when you tell him you use Cork Seal on top of a freshly solvent cleaned cork surface.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: December 22, 2005 01:15PM

I think Ralph will also tell you that if you have glue squeeze out from the rings, you've used to much!!. Watch him apply Rod Bond......put it on the face of the cork and then TAKE IT ALL OFF. What's left is the amount needed for proper adhesion. And denatured alcohol works just fine for getting rid of any glue still on the seat or blank.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2005 02:00PM

The one thing you don't want to do before any final application of adhesive or finish (of any kind) is to wipe the surface with a solvent. Cleaning them first with a solvent is fine, as long as you then move on to preparing a water-break-free surface for your adhesive. You can read about this in past issues of RodMaker or right here on this site's online library.

In the case of getting epoxy off of cork, you are pretty much forced to use some sort of solvent - wiping it with a paper towel alone isn't going to cut it. Better to not get any epoxy on there to begin with, but if you do and need to remove it, use the solvent. But, if you then plan to apply anything over that surface, I would strongly recommend that you sand it prior to doing so. You needn't take a lot of cork off - just hit the grip from end to end with some medium grit sandpaper. Don't overdo things - you don't need to reshape or reduce the diameter of the grip. Just knock up some dust and remove a very fine layer off the surface so anything you got down in there will be gone and you'll be left with a clean cork surface to apply whatever it is you're going to be applying next.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.59.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 02:10PM

well, i won't take a guess; too many possibilities. but i'd like to add true oil on cork shouldn't be a problem since cork is a wood product. try it, i have.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 02:36PM

I've used tru-oil on cork as well and like it somewhat... but only apply it AFTER the rod is built and AFTER the thread finish is completely dry.
I dunno, something about the word "oil" freaks me out so I worry about what it'll do if it gets on a surface that I've yet to apply thread finish on.

Date: December 22, 2005 03:59PM

This thread is a perfect example of just how hard it is to communicate properly in this forum.

Grant Darby - my post detailed the use of a preformed grip -I used no rings and this grip was not glued up by me - I bought the thing in one piece. The Rod Bond extrusion I referred to was caused by wiping off the Rod Bond from the surface of the blank and squeezed out when I slid the cork grip in place on the blank. This really means there was a "tunnel" completely through the thickness of the cork piece that was filled with Rod Bond. I just wiped off the top surface with the alcohol and left the remainder in the channel to dry. I guess this if why Rodmaker magazine is so important to all of us. The detail of subjects like this covering all the details supported by pictures can deal with this type of thing in a completely different manner.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 09:10PM

Very good thread Bill,
Very entertaining and very informative !!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (162.136.193.---)
Date: December 23, 2005 12:35PM

I use pre-made cork giprs and apply my Tru-oil coats on the cork BEFORE I glue up the handle assembly, wipe off the excess epoxy with paper towels and denatured alcohol and have not had a problem to date.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster