I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which way should reelseat's threads point?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 03:36PM

On all of the Fuji type reelseats I've seen on factory rods, the threaded end points toward the butt. Even St Croix latest rods with the bronze colored NPS reelseat has the threads toward the butt. However, on casting rods, because of the trigger, the threads point toward the tip.

But on the cover of the latest RodMaker magazine, the spinning rod on the right has a NPS looking reelseat with the thread end pointed towards the tip. And in my latest Mud Hole catalog, the Fuji type seats depicted in their handle assembly photos were also shown pointing towards the tip.

Is there actually a preferred direction for the threaded end to point? If I mount a spinning reel in an 18MM Fuji NPS reelseat, it seems more comfortable to me with the threads at the butt end. This allows my thumb and pointer finger to lay/wrap around the tapered smooth end towards the front. I'm trying to understand why some are mounted with the threaded end towards the tip? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which way should reelseat's threads point?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2005 03:59PM

It's a matter of personal preference. I find that seat more comfortable mounted opposite the way you do. I like the sloping rear to auto-locate my hand, which mounting it that way tends to do.

Again, all personal preference - the seat will hold the reel either way and you can alter the butt grip length to get exactly the distance between the butt and the reel you want.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 21, 2005 04:19PM

Up to you! I like the threads to the rear on my spinning rods but some customer's prefer them to the rear. I think that it's a matter of comfort and depends a lot on how you hold the reel.

Mike

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 04:29PM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Up to you! I like the threads to the rear on my
> spinning rods but some customer's prefer them to
> the rear. I think that it's a matter of comfort
> and depends a lot on how you hold the reel.

Mike, which way do you prefer vs the customer - I can't tell?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 21, 2005 04:34PM

Forward on all my personal rods and 90% thatt I build. I usually don't use fore frips (or very tiny ones) and the reel foot is usually between my ring and pinkie finger which places my thumb or forefinger on the blank. Just personal preference and fishing style

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.76.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 04:49PM

I always put the threads forward. After a while I find my hand starts to hurt from holding the rod tightly. MHO

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date: December 23, 2005 03:47PM

I put the threads forward on all my spinning seats also. If I do it the other way around, the heel of my hand ALWAYS loosens the nut. I have no idea why this happens, but it always does with an uplocking seat.

Further, when the seat is mounted in a downlocking position (threads forward), I can turn my cork to the exact o.d. of the rear hood, so that that it's a nice smooth transition under the palm and heel of my hand. The NPS seats accomplish this smooth transition even better.

Posted by: Mitch Brown (---.actaccess.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 01:52AM

I'm still pretty new to building rods, but the loosening reel seat is not new to me. That particular issue was part of the reason I started building rods. My right arm got injured a 20-some years ago, so now I cast left handed, and then switch hands. I constantly had to tighten up my reel. So when I built my first rod, I made it downlocking. It seems to have solved that problem for me. Since then I put them all downlocking. But does that screw up people who don't switch hands? I'ld kinda like to know before I put together my first rod for money.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster