I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tie off decorative Wrapping
Posted by: James Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 21, 2005 12:13PM

From time to time there are posts about how to tie off a decorative wrap and make it smooth. I have posted a pictorial collage of how I do it and it might help some. If you cant read the captions or have any questions please email me so to save space on the forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tie off decorative Wrapping
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2005 12:54PM

The collage is on the photo page here. Thanks to Doc for posting it.

Doc,

You could also put the captions in the comments section under the photo if you want.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 21, 2005 03:30PM

Hey Doc,

You're becoming a regular computer geek LOL!! Thanks! Looks Good! Should make things a lot easier for folks. For those of you that don't know, you can click on the pic to view the larger size then right click on it and Save picture to your computer so that you will have it for future
reference.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 03:44PM

James,
Just looked at your work and its just amazing. My question is that when doing cross wraps or lets just say wrapping in general as one goes thru the learning the curve how much waste is generated. With the simple stuff I have been trying when I spot some poor technique I can usually unwind and redo and not loose my thread. A little annoying but worth the effort when I get the error corrected but at your skill level could you estimate from all the thread you have wrapped / woven the percentage of thread that has been lost? I know thats kind of a dumb question with lots of variables that make a difference.
At the level you are working at I would guess that the planning parallels the degree of success. How soon into a complex cross wrap would a noticable error be detected? Do you have those "OH NO!!!" moments?
Tom

Posted by: Leon Mack (67.99.3.---)
Date: December 21, 2005 03:59PM

Are you using the back side of a knife to fray the thread? How does your fraying technique work if you don't mind me asking?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.76.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 05:19PM

very cool Doc. thought full

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 09:00PM

Tom and Leon,
Email Doc directly he's always happy to help.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2005 11:39AM

Hi Leon and Tom D. I tried emailing you direct but the addy is hidden so I will answer here.

Leon - I either use the back side of a knife or the blunt side of my sizzors. I start at the top of the tie off area and slowly and purposefully run it to the ends of the thread several times til about 1/8" of the end is fuzzed out. I then wet my finger (secret solution) and rub down the thread til it is nice and flat and now broken thread ends hanging around. Then start a tie off and wrap off the ends. It makes a very tight and even ramp and I can then do an overwrap if I want. Works great for me this way but I have seen others use CP and other means to accomplish an nice ramp too.

Tom D. - There is a lot of waste in weaving. Each thread in my pattern is about 20" long after anchoring and securing in the jig. When I am done only about 2" of it is left on the rod. I guess you could save the ends and do a spiral wrap but I usually just throw it away. With crosswraps there is little waste, maybe 4 to 6" of thread at most. As to the OH NO's; in weaving I dont make very many because I work from a Left list and check my numbers frequently but on the rare occasion it has happened I am usually only a couple turns away. With Crosswraps, unless I am duplicating a specific wrap for a customer, I usually have a type of design in mind but frequently end up ad libbing because I see something else I want to try. Not too many OH NO's here either. I use the old I did it that way on purpose, works most of the time. And finally Planning at any level is the key the the degree of success. Hope I helped.

Feel free to email me anytime directly.

Sorry for the delay in answering but I had log on problems( I screwed up again) and just now (with Toms help) got it figured out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2005 11:41AM by James(Doc) Labanowski.

Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: December 23, 2005 04:35PM

James
Tried your email but an undeliverable. Would you send it to Tomd@dtccom.net or TomsGunsmithing_Dealership@yahoo.com. Will you be doing anything at the show?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster