I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Determining single vs. double foot guides?
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2005 08:17AM

I'm a little confused on guide selection... Is there some formula or rule on the strength of single vs. double foot? I see that many are using single footed guides on casting rods and I had planned on it as well, at least in the upper half. But as I thought about it and went to some tackle stores to look at how the high end rods were built, I noticed NO consistency, even in the same brand.

In building heavy worm, jig and flip/pitch rods (fast or mod-fast) how do I determine when double footed guides are needed? I originally thought that all would "need" one or two towards the butt to handle the stresses of big fish/heavy cover. And I figured my heaviest flippin rod might use doubles all the way since it's used with 25 lb line and fished at close range in nasty cover.

How do you determine which is actually required?

Thank you for any input,

Keith Neidhart

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Determining single vs. double foot guides?
Posted by: Dave Barrett (138.239.78.---)
Date: December 21, 2005 09:17AM

You build bass rods. I build stand up tuna rods. So take that into consideration when I say that any rod to be fished with 80# line or less gets single foot guides. For me that means LBSGs which are SIC heavy duty boat guides. I've fought many tuna using 35# of drag with these guides on a spiral wrapped rod without problem. Since a double foot guide dampens the action of the blank more than a single foot guide, why use the double when its just not needed? There. You have my take, I'm sure others will disagree.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Dave

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.tci.com)
Date: December 21, 2005 09:24AM

Ditto Dave,
Traditions die hard but I beleive the most double foot guides will eventualy go by the way side. IMO

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 10:23AM

If you're really worried about this issue, take an old scrap of guide, wrap some single foot guides on it (using the Forhan locking wrap), finish it with your finish of choice, then try to bust the guide or pull it out. You'll quickly see that a single foot guide--properly wrapped--is far more strong and secure than it would ever need to be. In my opinion, there is no good reason to use double-foot guides on any bass rod. As Dave pointed out, single foot guides will stand up to Tuna. Why would you worry about single foots and bass? I've not used a double-foot guide in quite awhile on any bass rods, and I've not had any trouble.

Now that being said, if you're building bass rods for a tournament angler who treats his rods roughly, it might be advisable to make the butt guide a double-foot, as that section of the rod seems to be the area that the angler might step on.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 10:33AM

Keith,
I think that single footed versus double footed guides is mainly a trade off between durability and performance. The single footed guides are easier to damage but the single footed guides including the wraps and epoxy will weigh less. So on more powerful rods, particularly ones that are short and will not be used to cast I would opt for the more durable double footed guides. On the other hand on longer, lighter, higher modulus rods that will be used to cast I would consider the single footed guides especially toward the tip because the weight has a much larger effect on performance as it is added closer and closer to the tip of the rod.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 21, 2005 10:39AM

DAVE - Is there a typographical error in your reference to guides?
Did you mean Fuji "LBSG" or something else, ... because
Fuji LVSG = V-frame (double-leg, single-foot) + SiC-ring
Fuji LRSG = HD-Folded-frame (double-footed) + SiC-ring

BUT Fuji "LBSG" = you tell me, please, ... All I know is the letters "B" and "V" are right next to each other on the vast majority of computer keyboards, and that a typographical error or brain fart is so easy with these FUJI Model Numbers and Style Codes, IMO. And some people seem to use guides I never heard of, so I am just double-checking that I am not missing out on the greatest line guide in the world, or something.

And Dave, I am a bit confused: Are you using 35# of drag on a LRSG HD-boat guide, ... that is to be expected. ... Or are you able to use a LVSG single-foot V-frame for up to say 30# of drag and feel it's safe.

It just seems like a LVSG V-frame single-foot guide would fold under that high a drag load. ... I'm not doubting what you're saying, I just know I am confused about exactly what you are reporting. -Cliff Hall+++

Dave Barrett wrote: "... any rod to be fished with 80# line or less gets single foot guides. For me that means LBSGs which are SIC heavy duty boat guides. I've fought many tuna using 35# of drag with these guides on a spiral wrapped rod without problem." [Which guides: LRSG...?]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2005 11:44AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: December 21, 2005 11:21AM

Myself, I use double foot guides for the transition in the spiral wrap. Only reason I keep with double foot guides is they hold up better if the rod gets stepped on while it is on the deck of the boat. After that though I use all single foot guides.

Posted by: Lu Gardner (---.sta.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 12:11PM

If you are concerned about the single ft. guids staying in place. You may want to step up your thread size one letter. Out side of that I would not worry

Posted by: Tom Kelly (---.goodrich.com)
Date: December 21, 2005 01:05PM

Cliff...

The LBSG guides referenced are indeed Fuji HD single-footed SIC guides. Cut and paste the following web location to view Mudholes ad for them.

[shop.mudhole.com]

Tom

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2005 06:37PM

Thanks for the info, gentlemen! I don't worry about the guides pulling free, especially since trying the forhan locking wrap. I just didn't know if the singles were stout enough to be used in the butt section of these rods... I'm just getting started (trying to learn as much and fast I can) in this and have yet to build a rod. (my first 2 blanks are currently wrapped in Christmas paper!)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 21, 2005 09:53PM

Keith,

Whoever bought you the blanks for Christmas will surely regret it. You are about to succumb to an addiction much stronger than even Crack!!! Once you unwrap them. you will be hopelessly lost!!!! Your best bet would be to mail those blanks to me as fast as you can get to the post office and save yourself while you still can!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: December 22, 2005 12:22AM

Tom KELLY - Thanks for sending us the LINK at MUD-HOLE's website so we could see what a Fuji "LBSG" Tri-Leg, Single-foot, HD-casting Line Guide looks like for ourselves. ... Definitely a STOUT, medium-height frame guide.

-Cliff Hall+++ Merry Christmas,

Posted by: Tom Kelly (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 04:04AM

Cliff...

You're welcome. Fuji also makes a black-framed Hardloy version (BLBLG) in case the SICs are more than you need.

Merry CHRISTmas to you all!
Tom

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: December 22, 2005 09:32AM

Well Tom beat me too it. Thank you Tom.

Yes cliff those guides stand up to 35# of drag. In fact I'm building another rod with them that will be used with 100# test, 33# of drag at strike and about 45# at full. It will be interesting to see what happens if I get lucky enough to hook into something that can still take drag when I'm at full!

Lu, I wouldn't step up in thread size. Wraps done with A are far stronger than people think. A long time ago (2-3 years?) I posted the results of some testing I did. I wrapped a Aftco #31HD roller guide onto a scrap blank using only a 1/2" long wrap of A on each foot. I then took my drag scale and pulled until the guide broke free. On average it took 40-42# of pull to do it. Most importantly the reason the guide came free was not due to wrap failure, but because the guide frame buckled. I had planned on a whole series of test with different size thread and with/without epoxy as I want to be sure that my wraps were the strongest they could be. The results of that one test convinced me I needed worry about it. So now the only thread I use is A. My tuna rod guides are wrapped with an under wrap and 2 locking overwraps. Epoxy is applied with each over wrapping.

Dave

Date: December 22, 2005 11:39PM

Dave Barrett & Tom Kelly - Thanks for the education. ... Now I see the Hardloy-ring "BLBLG", 8mm-16mm ring, Tri-leg, Single-foot Guides, in the hard-copy of the Mud-Hole Catalog 2006, on page 69. ... Very useful info & guide. Thanks, -Cliff Hall+++ Merry Christ-Mass

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster