I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide alignment
Posted by: Jim Colombo (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 03:28PM

Beside eyeballing, does anyone have a method of aligning guides after they have been wrapped?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide alignment
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 20, 2005 03:51PM

Click on SERACH at the top of the message list, type in guide align, select ALL Dates and you will get 25 pages of post with the info you are looking for

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike

Posted by: alan hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: December 20, 2005 03:52PM

Somewhere I had seen where the rodbuilder had taken the rod with the reeel in place then laid rod along the taple so that the center of the reel laid at edge of table then lined up the guides from there. Havent tried it yet my self and when I had seen your post thought I would throw that out there for more responses.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 04:20PM

Alan, You are thinking of guide location not alignment. Guide location for Spinning out fits can be found in the library section and has pictures of what you are refering to. Guide alignment can be done in any number of ways but the easiest is by sight.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 20, 2005 05:45PM

A true line ... by: Bill Cohen ... Nov. 28, 2005 09:25AM [www.rodbuilding.org]
Ive been thinking of ways to line up the guides .I find I'm fiddling around with the guides too much making adjustments then going back and changing it around.I finely get it right but its an agonizing process. I'm thinking of a lazer for that perfect fix. What kind do you have and whats the alternatives ? Did the search and was hoping someone had more to offer. -Bill Cohen.

Re: A true line ... Cliff Hall ... Nov. 28, 2005 11:13AM
[www.rodbuilding.org]
To align your line guides in the plane of symmetry of the rod blank; to align the face of the guide ring at a right angle to the line (long axis) of the rod blank: and to keep your guide feet in-line with the rod blank, employ BOTH these [following] methods of alignment: ... [etc] -Cliff Hall .

LOTS of other useful comments on ALIGNMENT (but not on guide SPACING) in this recent and well-rounded Thread, ... IMO, -Cliff Hall+++ Merry Christmas

Posted by: Jay Lindholm (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 09:44PM

I had read on here a long while back that someone had taken an old spinning reel and cut the "Top" part off leaving the reel foot and half of the stem. He then sharpened it to a point and used it like a gun sight. I tried it and it worked fine. I eventually just went back to the ole "MK I Eyeball" though. Too lazy to find the gun sight.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 21, 2005 01:46AM

I use this method and it's killer!! Picked it up off here. Take the tip section of a 2 piece fly rod that has been stripped of guides then run that up through the guides and tip, align with the rod blank your using then adjust your guides. They'll be straight if your rod blank was straight

Bill in WV

Posted by: J. Gregg Davis (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 10:48AM

I would guess there are as many ways of aligning guides as there are rodbuilders but after experimenting with a number of ways I have found this works for me. After determining and marking the guide placement I mount an old reel on the rod. Then I use a length of cord ( the kind used by carpenters to pull straight lines) with a small weight attached to one end. After glueing on and aligning the tip top by eye I thread the cord through the tip top and all the guides in their proper order and attach to the reel in the middle of course.Then it is just a matter of positioning the guides on the marks and taping them down insuring the line is in the middle of the guide. Don't know if this will help but it sure works for me. gregg

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 22, 2005 06:36AM

I take and put a reel in the reel seat and set it in the wrapping jig so that the weight of the reel keeps the rod in a position so that the guides should be vertical. Then I look at the rod from straight above it and make sure the the rod is visibly in the middle of the guides, if you are not perfectly in line you are very, very close.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster