I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stupid pet...Er...Stupid rodbuilder tricks!
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sea.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 03:34PM

I know we've all made braindead screw-ups.....Well this is the one I just made 5 minutes ago. Thought I would share.......I trust you're all laughing with me...not at me.

Over the past few days I had decided that the bottom half of the last fly rod I finished (Dan Craft FT 9 ft 7 wt) could use a touch-up. One of the wraps had an uneven Flex Coat Lite job...and several of the others had wavey FC Lite lines off the edges of the wraps.

So I remedied that this morning. Took some fine grit sandpaper to all the wraps on the bottom half of the rod and then re-did them with the FC Lite......Using up the last of my supply.

Felt pretty good about the job.

Put it on the turner to dry.....

Left the house to do some busy work around town.....and when I returned I knew I could unplug the motor to the rod turner......

grabbed a banana going through the kitchen...and before I unplugged the turner I though I would do a touch test to see how tacky/solid the FC Lite was on the aluminium foil that I mix it on. The foil was right beneath the turning rod.

Touched my stirring stick...which was stuck to/laying in the leftovers of the FC Lite...with my right index finger. Being that it had sat there for three hours it was pretty tacky and it stuck to my finger..and because I was holding that dang banana in my left hand I just tried to shake off the foil.

Stupid move, that!

One corner of the foil sheet flipped up and stuck to one of my wraps.....destroying its very smooth and very beautiful surface!

Is that the most stupid thing you've ever heard of or not?

Now I'll have to let it dry.....sand it again....and recoat it!

But unless a person can apply FC High Build (which I do have...but have never used) just as thin as the Lite stuff...I'll have to order some more Lite.

Can I apply the High build stuff just as thin. I don't wand to end up with a football on that wrap!

stupid--stupid--stupid--stupid--stupid--stupid!!!!!!!!!!

But I am laughing at my stupidity...At least I have that going for me!

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhh.....

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stupid pet...Er...Stupid rodbuilder tricks!
Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 19, 2005 04:02PM

If it is still a bit tacky try hitting it with some light heat it may soften it enough to allow it to smooth back over. If it softens only a little try blowing through a straw on the wrap, you may be surprised.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 19, 2005 04:24PM

That's a good one!! LOL!

You can put that FC HB on really thin, also. No problem should be encountered there.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 04:28PM

I second Scotts suggestion but after 3hrs you will be lucky if that works depending of course on the amount of damage
you inflickted on that seamingly inocent fly rod that was just turning there minding its own business. LOL!!
Yes I'm laughing with you not at you! Maybe not in the exact same way but "been there done that" ! I am glad you can laugh.
When that last happened to me I almost had to re-do a cross-wrap that took me over 8 hrs to wrap. (I am a slow thread artist)
I was NOT laughing but my wife was.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: December 19, 2005 04:54PM

I have actually stuck my dang finger in there and had to re-do, that is really stupid.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 05:23PM

Like sticking your finger in a flame to see if it is HOT!! lol Stupid is as stupid does
I actually scratched my hair with the same finger that I just tested the epoxi with!!
My buddy was rolling!!!! as I was trying to get it off.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.6.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 05:49PM

i've applied flex coat high build thinly where it resembled the lite formula.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 11:56PM

Scott....Been there, Done That......There is almost something hypnotic about a smooth virgin surface that compells me to touch it to see if it is dry. I just can't help myself. My favorite was standing over a fresly applied Spar Coat over a LONG underwrap while absentmindedly scratching my dry scalp....Immediatly after getting a haircut.

(Expletives Deleted)

Derek

Date: December 20, 2005 07:56AM

Derek, that is sooooo true LOL!!!. It is so hard to resist touching a part of it to see if it set up, don't know why, I know better!!!

The hair thing would really suck.

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 12:17PM

Just mix up some high build and thin it with a couple of drops of acetone

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster