I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt Wrap Tie-off
Posted by: Leon Mack (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2005 10:33PM

Do you guys wrap the ends really tight before cutting the threads when wrapping up a butt wrap? I'm getting some threads that pull through when I trim the end. I had a half-inch of thread around the end before trimming but some threads still pulled under. I was thinking maybe clear-coat the butt wrap then trim the edges and wrap an edge after coating.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt Wrap Tie-off
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2005 10:43PM

I run the BACK of a knife off the ends of the threads to fluff them and make them untwist then I wet my finger and flatten then out and wrap off the ends but I do know some people who like to use a thing coat of CP then cut of the threads at an angle.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2005 11:32PM

Hi Leon,
I'm one of those who likes to put a coat of CP on my butt wraps before I do the locking trim bands and yes I do increase the tension
some on the locking band(s) just for added secuity. The CP is used to lock all the threads together so they don't slip and separate
durring the trimming process. Sometimes I also incorporate Doc's method of flairing the threads so the locking band(s) make a nice
smooth transition.

This is an example of how I finnish off the tip side of some of my butt wraps

1) coat with CP and let dry
2) increase tension (not to much) wrap first color locking trim band ( mine are about 5-8 wraps )
3) trim pattern threads very close to locking wrap and flair ends ( trim with sissors if needed )
4) wrap second color locking trim band starting against first band (another 5-8 wraps ) insert 3rd color thread peice along with pull loop
when you end the wrap.
5) make 2 wraps 3rd color insert pull loop and finnish 2 or 3 wraps and end wrap.

Of course this is just one example depending on the type of wrap and the butt side is different but the principle is the same.

Good luck

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: December 19, 2005 12:23AM

Can I apply CP to NCP to lock in the threads?

Date: December 19, 2005 12:27AM

Yes no problem at all.
The NCP just means that applying CP is not necissary to keep the color from reacting with the epoxi as the dye
is not supposed to be effected.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 12:38AM

Experiment first before applying CP over NCP thread, particularly black. Helps prevent surprises. Stan

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 19, 2005 06:52AM

I kinda do combo approach. I use cp but only up to the point where I am going to start my tie off wraps. Under the tie off wraps there is no cp so I can kinda smooth things out a bit and make a better transition.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 08:27AM

The CP makes the thread hard. When wrapping the ends the thread does not squash the thread down. Looks lumpy. harder to comb out.

Date: December 19, 2005 08:47AM

I havn't had a problem yet with flairing the ends but yes it's not as easy as without CP.
A thin coat is all I use.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 19, 2005 03:03PM

What Stan was referring to is applying a "white solids" containing Color Preserver like Flexcoat is a bad idea on black thread. After it all said and done when you take it out in the sun it will look like the Milky Way with tiny tiny white specs.

If Carl Sagan was still around that would be his finish of choice.

Gon Fishn

Date: December 19, 2005 04:00PM

I never noticed any white specs and I used Flex-Coat CP for a long time. What I did notice was white fingerprints from touching
my butt wraps and white divots on the wraps from knocks bumps after the CP dried. It was clear until disturbed.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: December 19, 2005 04:43PM

Leon,

I'm not positive I totally understand your question, but this is my take in it. You are inserting your tie-off about 1/2 inch before the end of the wrap. Then when you get to the end, you're pulling the tie-off loop until it just dissappears under the wraps. Then you are trimming off the tag end of the thread and pulling it through. Instead of getting a totally buried tag end, some of it is coming out through the wraps. Is that right?

If that is not the problem you are having, then ignore the following.

What I do is insert the tie-off loop about 1/8 inch before the end. Then I continue wrapping the thread the rest of the way with fairly light tension - not much more tension than it takes to keep the thread taut. I do not trim the tag end put pull it through in its entirety. Then I pull the end up at about a 45 degree angle to the blank and hold a sharp single-edge razor blade right at the spot where the tag end emerges from the wrap (blade parallel to the wrap direction). At this point if you pull the thread up against the blade it makes a nice clean cut with no stub coming through. 95% of the time it works great!

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 19, 2005 08:36PM

For future general reference, visit:

"Tying Off a Wrap - Step By Step"
www.visualwrap.com
Apr 14th, 2003, 7:19am (Read over 2800 times)
Author: Billy_40 [Billy Vivona]
Moderator, Member, XL Rods

and see if this approach lends itself to your techniques.
-Cliff Hall+++ Merry Christmas

VisualWrap.com is currently down for maintenance.
See [www.rodbuilding.org]
for details from David Boyle.

Posted by: Leon Mack (67.99.3.---)
Date: December 19, 2005 09:33PM

Rob: What happened on my first try is I got everything looking good. Then I wrapped close to a half-inch to lock the ends down. When I cut off the end they slid under the lock-down wrap.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 10:44PM

Sorry Leon, I guess I should have read your post more carefully. I didn't realize you were talking about a butt wrap.

Date: December 19, 2005 10:49PM

No problem. Most of the time I'm not very good at writing descriptively.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster