I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Balsa Wood for Fly Handles
Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 18, 2005 10:15PM

Does anyone have experience using this technique (www.northcoastknives.com/northcoast_knives_tutorials_hints_tips3.htm) with balsa wood for fly handles - to try to make balsa wood a little more firm?

Apparently it might be useful for stabilizing knife handle woods (someone on this Forum led me to this site for stabilizing wood at home).

I've made-up some 1/4" balsa into rings, using a circular blade, to make a test fly grip using this method. Will post results when completed. Stan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2005 10:24PM by Stan Gregory.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Balsa Wood for Fly Handles
Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: December 19, 2005 12:33AM

The attractiveness of balsa is light weight. If you load it with resin, it looses that feature. Others recently talked about using redwood or cedar. Again very light, but not as soft as cork. Think about that. Just a few layers of Tru-Oil will protect it.

Note I tried just soaking inserts of various woods in a mixture of resins and oils. The bubbles proved a lot of penetration was taking place with no pressures. The results seems very good after drying and finishing/polishing.

Seems to me the key to wood treatment is to prevent moisture absorbsion. Easy to test this. Weigh the dry treated blank. Soak it in water for a few days. Dry it with a cloth. weigh it again. Any increase in weight is water absorbed. A Harvard balance will prove + or - 0.1 gram.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 12:58AM

Let us know how the balsa works for you as I am thinking about experimenting with the same thing but only to use the balsa rings under friction tape , cork tape, or cork composite handlebar tape grips. Thought about dyeing the rings using a vaccum sealer as well and then sealing them with true oil or a similar priduct after thoroughly drying the dyed rings.

Derek

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 01:14AM

Tim,

Soaking the wood just won't do the job, IMO. Pressure differentials, temps & time are required for serious penetration of the wood's cellular structures. The procedure applied to the wood using the MinWax High Performance Wood Hardner is very similar to canning vegestables (temps & pressure differentials to get rid of gases and allow inflow of material during the cooling phase), except it needs to be done outside the house and away from any flame due to the very flammabile solvents in the product.

I've tried the technique on a couple softwood reel seats and it seems to have penetrated the wood completely. I suspect the technique might work fairly well with balsa though it will increase the grip weight a certain percentage.

The overall weight might turn out to be less than the weight of cork of the same length & diameter, and might result in a grip with better appearance than currently available cork. We'll see. Stan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2005 01:46AM by Stan Gregory.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 07:46AM

I have made a few. Nice to work with, not much on grain but that can be accented with tints. I then have coated with thin coat of finish. Coek is soft also, this has no pits.

Posted by: Scott Olex (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 08:08AM

You can also purchase different densities of balsa from soft to hard. There is no need to cut it into rings unless that is the look you are trying going for. I buy balsa in 3"x4"x48" boards for turning floats. Give nationalbalsa.com a look, if you order give them a call and ask for hard balsa.

Date: December 19, 2005 08:12AM

Scott

Thanks for the heads up. Did not know it came in a hard.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 10:43AM

there is an impregnation process i read about on a bamboo forum. disolve pieces of plexiglass in acetone to make your impreg solution.i takes quite a while to disolve the plexiglass pieces. soak your wood in this for a day or so. a pressure vessel would of course make the process more effective. this adds significant weight to the wood but makes it very tough.

Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 10:45AM

I've experimented with balsa rings cut from 1/4" balsa sheet. I then use the rings like cork rings. When gluing I position the ends of the grain so that no two rings align. The end result is a very sturdy grip that looks awesome once it is stained and finished. I believe this type of setup works much better than trying to make a handle out of solid balsa with the grain running parrallel to the blank. However, unlike a solid piece of balsa, the balsa is much harder to work when rings are cut and used this way. If you don't have a real lathe, it will take for ever to shape the grip with sandpaper, but it can be done.

Kevin

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 19, 2005 11:01AM

Kevin,
Definately sounds worth trying!! How about posting a pic? Would love to see it. What do you stain and finish it with?? Do you use a hole saw to cut it??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2005 11:08AM

Basswood is a bit heavier, not by a terrible amount however, and is quite a bit tougher. Might be a better choice for what you're after.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: December 19, 2005 11:55AM

Pictures of balsa on the photo board

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: December 19, 2005 01:39PM

I just thought of some thig Happens so often , think that balsa would make nice arbors ??
Maybe to soft?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster