I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Should line break before rod that's rated slightly higher?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2005 07:58PM

If I take a spinning rod rated at 10-17 pound line test, and run 15# line from the reel through the guides and tie it off, hold the rod butt 90 degrees to the tip that's pointing toward the tie off and start backing up, shouldn't the line break before the rod? I'm trying to figure out what the 10-17 pound line rating of a rod really means. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should line break before rod that's rated slightly higher?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: December 18, 2005 08:28PM

I think you'll be lucky if you can get around 8 lbs of drag off a bass reel. My Quantum Cabo PT 31 just barely exceeds it. So you'll have to tie the line off to the rod to test your blank. I think if you tie off a full 2 liter bottle to your rod hold it parrallel to the floor and try to pick it up, you'll find out all you need to know without damaging something. Just barely got a 5 lb sack of flour off the ground with me heaviest musky rod.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2005 08:29PM

It depends. Some blank manufacturers specify that with a dead load on the tip of the rod at 90 degrees(angle between the butt and the tip) with a line at the maximum line rating of the rod the line should break before the rod does. But as you decrease this angle or raise the tip higher you are transferring more of the load toward the tip and weaker portion of the rod and therefore the rod may break before the line does. But other manufacturers do not specify what they mean by the line rating.
There is also the variation in lines. There are some lines that may be rated as much as 50% low so that fishermen will think that they are really strong lines.
And there is of course the loss in line strength with the knot you use.
But after having said all of that, I think that the answer to your question should most often be yes.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 18, 2005 08:33PM

15 pound test is line which breaks at more than 15 pounds. A line that has a breaking strength on a steady pull of over 100 pounds can correctly be classified as 15 pound test. That's a somewhat exagerated example, but 15 pound test lines all have a breaking strength of considerably more than 15 pounds.

With that said, yes the line should break first, but with any subjective rating it may or may not. And as Emory pointed out, how you use the rod will determine what type load it can take before breaking.

In many cases, the recommended line rating is just a suggestion based on what the designer expects most people will be using on said blank or rod.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2005 11:56PM

yep,
I have seen more than a few rods rated at 20lbs break with the user threading 15lb or less line thru it. Mostly though to user error
on the fishermans part.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: December 19, 2005 12:05AM

Never thought about it. I just built a rainforest RT 6320. I think its 20#'s, and 63 inches long. I got a Cabo pt on it, ran the drag all the way down till it was hand tight, (tight now, no more clicks.) and picked up a 10 pound weight. Oh, 20# braid line. The rod made all sorts of crunchy noises as the wraps stretched, or the epoxy microcracked, or something. Got the weight off the ground, for a second, then the drag let it back down. I thought that rod would pick up 10 pounds no problem. Oh yeah, I did it cause I read your post, not some coincidence or some such. I think the rod would break, but there was enough strain I got kinda scared. I got another blank, exact same. I don't know, though.... Levi

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 12:29AM

Levi,
Try tying that braid to a beam or something and see just how much weight it will hold.
I'm sure you will be very suprised!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 19, 2005 12:09PM

The idea of testing the strength of the rod blank with a DEAD WEIGHT that equals the UPPER END of the rod blank's LINE RATING is anathema, and is definitely inviting the rod blank to fail.

I would never expect a rod blank to endure more than 50% of its upper line rating in a dead weight load, at a 90 degree angle, and certainly not at more than a 120 degree arc. This comment is entirely SPECULATIVE on my part. I have never tested, under controlled conditions, a rod blank this way, with that much drag (more like 1/3). I'm afraid the test may be successful and prove that the rod blank WILL indeed fail at anything above 50% of its top-end line rating. I can't afford to be popping rod blanks just to satisfy my curiosity or penchant for scientific experiments.

IMO, the big picture is that the REEL DRAG should be set to low enough to SLIP, LONG BEFORE a halt or chatter in the drag washers can cause a high enough PULSE stress to build up and OVERLOAD the rod blank. This of course is much more of an issue when using SUPER-BRAID lines, which have NO STRETCH, than for nylon monofilament, which has well over 5% stretch.

IMO, -Cliff Hall+++ Merry Christmas

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 01:55PM

Cliff,
I think that Tim's question was more directed at what does the line rating on a blank mean.
I did some distructive testing on some blem blanks, I had a lot of them, a year of so ago as a result of a discussion that Tom and I were having about where rods break and why. It turns out that with a dead load at 90 degrees blanks will take several times the load that they will take at a higher angle like 120 degrees and at a very high angle approaching 180 degrees they will break at a very small fraction of their max. line rating. Another interesting piece of this was I could make blanks break anywhere along the blank that I wanted it to break by varying this angle.

Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: December 20, 2005 02:51AM

Emory,
That makes sense.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster